Anyone else get upper leg pain when "paddling" through awkward off rd sections?

Bikers and riding
willywombat64

Anyone else get upper leg pain when "paddling" through awkward off rd sections?

Post by willywombat64 »

As the legs swing backwards I,ve often experienced discomfort at the top of the front of the legs where they join the pelvis. I'm generally very supple for my age and wondered if others get this trouble?
herman

Re: Anyone else get upper leg pain when "paddling" through awkward off rd sections?

Post by herman »

Yes it is a very unnatural movement I find. The deep rutted climbs at walters arena are a prime example. The clever sods will say stand up but when there is no room on the peg for your boot I have no choice other than doing the superman pose I guess.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
daveuprite

Re: Anyone else get upper leg pain when "paddling" through awkward off rd sections?

Post by daveuprite »

Interesting you should mention this. I can ride up on the pegs all day and no problem. But if I have to waddle/paddle through thick mud, in the evening I will inevitably get really bad cramp.

I was advised to drink quinine (found in tonic water) to tackle the cramp. Obviously you therefore have to choose Gin and Tonic...

Problem is the amount of quinine in tonic has decreased dramatically over the years and it now takes about 30 double G&Ts to get sufficient quinine to have any effect on cramp. Funnily enough the cramp does indeed completely disappear after 30 G&Ts. So... problem solved I suppose.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Many years ago, I had exactly the same problem.

My solution looked hilarious, but actually worked. Sit on the filler-cap and stick your legs out to the region of the front wheel spindle.

Some years later, I saw a riding tips column in Dirt Rider magazine by Malcolm Smith...no less.

"How to ride ruts"

Of course, there was the expert technique of not getting in the ruts at all...but then there was the 'bad line done good is better than a good line done bad' technique for us mere mortals ...which was sit on the filler cap and stick your legs out to the front.

You'll look like a spider on crack...but you will get through.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I find having regular lie downs keeps you supple during a ride. :ugeek: :ugeek: :geek: ;) ;)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

willywombat64 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:06 pm As the legs swing backwards I,ve often experienced discomfort at the top of the front of the legs where they join the pelvis. ..
perhaps the swinging of the legs is the problem.
after many years of inappropriate paddling :roll: I now tend to let the bike do the pulling
and just `walk` the bike along with no/little leg force :geek: .. the engine doing the work ..
the legs just guiding/controlling/balancing/dabbing ..

but not for too long :mrgreen:

ps ... to be an expert shit paddler ..
the feet must be able to reach the ground flat when stationary.
(this takes the strain off over-reaching)
Last edited by garyboy on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

If your leg is behind your backside then you are overstretching the groin, possibly leaning forward almost in the superman position and putting all the weight on your shoulders. Get your nuts up to the tank, weight on the front wheel, look well ahead, one leg forward if you need to dab and accelerate gently. You need to keep the wheels turning fast enough to stay upright, keep the tyre treads clear and not lose traction ........... attack attack attack.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
bowber

Post by bowber »

This used to be hard work when I was young and enduroing regularly, just about everyone hated ruts as it wore you out paddling though them and I always ended up with cramp as my legs are long, but if it's joint pain you may be moving your leg past it's normal position, in which case some stretching exercises may help, don't ask me which ones though as I know nothing about exercise other than walking my dogs and riding bikes ;)

Steve
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I always get cramp after a short paddling period.
Ruts are bad enough without the agony.
Maybe some birthing stirrups fitted to the rad shields would help :lol:
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

bowber wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:03 pm if it's joint pain you may be moving your leg past it's normal position, in which case some stretching exercises may help, don't ask me which ones though as I know nothing about exercise other than walking my dogs and riding bikes ;)

Steve
Maybe forward lunge stretch
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”