Legal or not legal

Bikers and riding
Mikekitts81

Legal or not legal

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Guy pulls up at a red light traffics stopped he gets off the bike hits the kill switch pushes it through the lights and gets back on the bike on the other side and rides off . Technically he didn't ride through a red light and cyclists get off and push there bike through as long as it's safe to do so and resume on the other side. Is it a technicality and loop hole in the system or is it dead to rights illegal seen it done so was wondering
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
zimtim

Re: Legal or not legal

Post by zimtim »

Legal or not is it really worth all that extra effort.

Be interested to know though.
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

I found this on another forum :
The meaning of traffic light signals is covered by The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002

36.—(1) The significance of the light signals prescribed by regulations 33, 34 and 35 shall be as follows—
(a)subject to sub-paragraph (b) and, where the red signal is shown at the same time as the green arrow signal, to sub-paragraphs (f) and (g), the red signal shall convey the prohibition that vehicular traffic shall not proceed beyond the stop line;
So as a motorcycle is vehicular traffic I would say that the above applies - red means stop.

There is a stated case that refers to a pedestrian crossing, in that a push bike being pushed by a pedestrian is considered to be a pedestrian.

However a motorcycle is a motor vehicle and therefore it will come down to whether at the point it is being pushed - what is it considered to be in the eyes of a judge a vehicle or a pedestrian.

I would say it would still be considered a motorcycle and would be bound by the laws of the road so if you were daft enough to walk your bike through a red light no doubt into live traffic you deserve to meet the judge - it just seems a ridiculously arsey thing to do and moreso it seems a dangerous thing to do.

Of course I could be totally wrong and soon we will see bikes getting pushed through red lights and causing chaos everywhere.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I believe that if you push your motorbike on the road or the pavement then you must have tax and insurance and I think even be wearing a helmet?
So obviously red lights would be illegal as you are in charge of a motor vehicle? And anyway must have the engine running when in control.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I've ridden my motorcycle through Red lights on a number of occasions/scenarios.........
When the traffic has been totally gridlocked. When the traffiic is unable to move in any direction irrespective of the colour of the lights, I've crossed on red and picked my way through the chaos.
When it's the early hours of the morning........the road is empty and the junction is such that I can clearly see that nothing is coming. Obviously, I'd have stopped first and assessed the situation.
Temporary traffic lights.......I go through on Red at simple two way temporary traffic lights when I can see through to the other side, either I can see that the on coming traffic has now come to a stop or I can see it's totally clear.
Mostly this is my bike behaviour, in a van I'm less inclined to be a rebel.
On a bike generally I like traffic lights, they allow me to filter to the front and get up and away on Green, then I'm in a bit of space without Johnny-Rep up my arse.
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

TomBoyNI wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:58 pm I found this on another forum :
The meaning of traffic light signals is covered by The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002

36.—(1) The significance of the light signals prescribed by regulations 33, 34 and 35 shall be as follows—
(a)subject to sub-paragraph (b) and, where the red signal is shown at the same time as the green arrow signal, to sub-paragraphs (f) and (g), the red signal shall convey the prohibition that vehicular traffic shall not proceed beyond the stop line;
So as a motorcycle is vehicular traffic I would say that the above applies - red means stop.

There is a stated case that refers to a pedestrian crossing, in that a push bike being pushed by a pedestrian is considered to be a pedestrian.

However a motorcycle is a motor vehicle and therefore it will come down to whether at the point it is being pushed - what is it considered to be in the eyes of a judge a vehicle or a pedestrian.

I would say it would still be considered a motorcycle and would be bound by the laws of the road so if you were daft enough to walk your bike through a red light no doubt into live traffic you deserve to meet the judge - it just seems a ridiculously arsey thing to do and moreso it seems a dangerous thing to do.

Of course I could be totally wrong and soon we will see bikes getting pushed through red lights and causing chaos everywhere.
I read somewhere that if the motorcycle is sat on and being propelled by foot then it's classed as moving traffic but if your of the bike and stood pushing at the side then it's not but still as to be insured and taxed . But can be pushed legally down any pavement asking as it isn't being ridden mean you are just classed as a perdistrian under pedestrian law ... it states it is illegal to enter your drive way because you are driving over a pavement to enter it aswell which is a weird one cause that means everytime I enter or leave my driveway I have just broke the law
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

one pushes through a red light as if he is doing right
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

So if a motorcyclist attached sufficient mini-drones to his bike, helmet etc to fly over the red traffic lights and land on the other side - is that illegal?

This is an important question and I am very anxious to get an answer so that I can carry on with my life...
Morph

Post by Morph »

It depends on the circumstances and the Copper

My cousin was done for doing exactly that, it was passed midnight and he was going home from a bar job. His bike was not big enough to trigger the lights to change, there was no other traffic, so after 5 minutes, he got off, turned it off and pushed it across the junction and rode off. Coppers sat in a car on the pub car park followed him and nicked him!

On my bike test, I was in a right turn filter lane and again, my bike was not large enough to trigger the lights. The sequence went around a few times missing out green for the filter lane as it thought it was empty. My examiner told me to go over on red when it was clear, I did and I passed!
The lightest piece of kit is the one you leave behind...
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

daveuprite wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:01 am So if a motorcyclist attached sufficient mini-drones to his bike, helmet etc to fly over the red traffic lights and land on the other side - is that illegal?

This is an important question and I am very anxious to get an answer so that I can carry on with my life...
I'd say it's illegal drones wouldn't be allowed to fly in an area that's controlled and doing it around the public may get classed as dangerous and riding without due care or should I say flying without due care. I think in the future when elcetricty takes over turbines may get introduced instead of wheels and we could be flying around on 2 turbine mechanical propelled vehicles but in our time I doubt it as I can't see it happening soon .

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”