Legal or not legal

Bikers and riding
qcnr

Re: Legal or not legal

Post by qcnr »

I would say you'd get done for it.
Reason being that if you are observed riding your bike prior to stopping at the lights, and you are wearing
the legal requirement of protective clothing, then just after passing the red light you start up again and ride
off, you have deliberately and with pre-meditation circumvented traffic regulations.
I can't see that there would be a judge or magistrate that would accept any excuse for doing so, unless there
is a legal precedent that has established that this is fact allowable.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

As someone has already mentioned, if the lights are working why go to all that bother rather than just waiting til they change. If they're not working or the weight of your bike isn't enough to trigger them, after waiting a reasonable time, then proceeding with caution is without doubt a defence. I had to do this many a time on my Harley (believe it or not, wasn't heavy enough to trigger a set of lights on the Fosse Way) a few years back. The defect was reported and eventually rectified.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

I had the not triggering problem while in rural Normandy (Luc-sur-mer I think). Several cycles of the traffic signal went through but my side road never changed. I looked back at the queue of traffic behind me and shrugged my shoulders, palms up style gesture. The drivers all looked at me and shrugged their shoulders, palms up, and went back to eating their baguettes and reading Le Figaro!

Ahhh the French, there is so much they can teach us about not driving :D

As to pushing your bike, I bet there is some clause about whether you have the keys on you as well, as to whether you are "in charge" of the vehicle. Like when you're in the car sleeping off a boozy session with the keys in your pocket.
bowber

Post by bowber »

DaveCon wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:11 am As to pushing your bike, I bet there is some clause about whether you have the keys on you as well, as to whether you are "in charge" of the vehicle. Like when you're in the car sleeping off a boozy session with the keys in your pocket.
That's one that irritates me, you've obviously been responsible and not driven while drunk and you're sleeping in your car but you still get done because they can technically get you for being in charge. That's a jobsworth picking up their numbers.

Steve
Myroy

Post by Myroy »

If you are in the UK, please refer to your road fund license (road tax) classification. Clearly states that we ride a bicycle !
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Myroy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:19 am If you are in the UK, please refer to your road fund license (road tax) classification. Clearly states that we ride a bicycle !
With an XYZ cc engine. ;)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

if you're not sure about any legalities ... its always safe to assume
its illegal :D
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

garyboy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:52 pm if you're not sure about any legalities ... its always safe to assume
its illegal :D
Yep, if it's fun you can bet that some twat somewhere has decided to make a law against it. :?
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

apparently, the previous Mrs Trump said, "but taxes are just for the little people?"
well .. its the same with the law
(so it would seem) :mrgreen:

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”