Legal or not legal

Bikers and riding
bowber

Re: Legal or not legal

Post by bowber »

A motor vehicle has to be insured, taxed etc if it's on a public place whether it's moving or parked, but I'm interested to know if pushing it is classed as a pedestrian or not.
I've had traffic lights ignore me, the newer ones seem to be a lot better but a few times I've had to gang up with cyclists or other bikes to get the lights to see me.

Steve
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

If you are a road user regardless of if it is mechanically propelled or not you are bound by the rules of the road. It makes no difference if he is on a bike, motorbike, horse, cart, car or truck the traffic light colours still mean the same.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Slightly relevant, the bit about pushing the bike but not being astride it.

https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike ... -pavement/

Steve
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

bowber wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:58 pm Slightly relevant, the bit about pushing the bike but not being astride it.

Steve
have I read this right? .. you can push a motorbike on the pavement or road as long as you are not astride it ,, without insurance.. and so ? without tax? ? ?

quote // " If you straddle and paddle, the law has determined that you have ‘control’ of the machine and are therefore ‘riding’ it – but if you are to one side of it and pushing It you are not in control. So if you have to move an uninsured or otherwise non-street legal bike, push it but do not straddle It." ? ?
bowber

Post by bowber »

I think that's one interpretation of it but I'd not want to bet my license on it, plus all motor vehicles have to be insured.
It may have been more to do with moving one you don't own out of the way?
Anyway the bit I was interested in was not being classed as riding if you're to one side of the bike.

Steve
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

garyboy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:48 pm
bowber wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:58 pm Slightly relevant, the bit about pushing the bike but not being astride it.

Steve
have I read this right? .. you can push a motorbike on the pavement or road as long as you are not astride it ,, without insurance.. and so ? without tax? ? ?

quote // " If you straddle and paddle, the law has determined that you have ‘control’ of the machine and are therefore ‘riding’ it – but if you are to one side of it and pushing It you are not in control. So if you have to move an uninsured or otherwise non-street legal bike, push it but do not straddle It." ? ?
No. It would still need to be insured as it is a motor vehicle just the same as you can’t keep an uninsured or untaxed car on the road.
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

So if you need insurance and tax to push it on the public road - would you need a licence too? Or only if you straddle it? :shock:
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

I’m trying to remember what made up the points on my licence that ended up with me being banned at aged 15.
I was hit by a woman driver whilst pushing my motorbike home on the road after running out of petrol having spent the day in the fields, otherwise no doubt I’d have been riding it on the road. The impact broke various fingers and bones in my right hand whilst putting a large dent in her car. The women ended up helping me get the bike into my nearby friends garden then took me to hospital. After getting back from hospital I got the knock on the door from the police who listed the laws I’d broken which included no tax, mot, insurance and I’m sure disqualified from driving but can’t be sure. I could ask my mother as she’d remember but it’s only been three decades since it happened so me still be a bit angry.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Putney Bridge got closed the other year due to an accident, a policeman let me use the footway under the condition I had the engine switched off & was pushing it. Hard work, both going up & coming down

A grey area indeed
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Craig-SM wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:29 am I’m trying to remember what made up the points on my licence that ended up with me being banned at aged 15.
I was hit by a woman driver whilst pushing my motorbike home on the road after running out of petrol having spent the day in the fields, otherwise no doubt I’d have been riding it on the road. The impact broke various fingers and bones in my right hand whilst putting a large dent in her car. The women ended up helping me get the bike into my nearby friends garden then took me to hospital. After getting back from hospital I got the knock on the door from the police who listed the laws I’d broken which included no tax, mot, insurance and I’m sure disqualified from driving but can’t be sure. I could ask my mother as she’d remember but it’s only been three decades since it happened so me still be a bit angry.
Once had a similar thing but with no crash my local field that ran everywhere was only not even half a mile up a little side road from the back of my house. I hadn't run out of fuel I just knew I couldn't ride etc on road and everyone =t went out cut of at end of the field and walked it up so at the end of the field I switched off and started walking it down the road home and I wish I hadn't . if I rode it I would have been home before the police strolled up along side me all the usual questions were the bike from etc I later had a day in court but funnily enough they still let me push my bike home don't think seizures etc were in then ... I got disqualified from driving and fined no insurance no license and no tax . I later got done again as I wasn't gonna stop riding I was young and dumb and loved riding but this time went to jail only 4 months though. but same thing again back to court but already disqualified the thing that threw the judge I think was I had been in the paper a little time before for smashing a work colleague that stole of me while I was at work. Don't get me wrong though iam not bad the guy deserved it he told the boss he was ill and went home early and decided to take my coat that had all my stuff in money wallet etc and to make things worse my grandad had bought it me before he died so the coat was worth a lot more than the price they could have put on it and when I meet up with him again I had been out on the larger from early hours till midnight and I walked out the club and there he was my first section 20 .. :( been a good boy ever since and now I only ride legally on the roads and trails I think if I hadn't have done that though the judge would have just give me a longer disqualification and more fines etc. Iam sure though that even if your pushing it you still need a license not just insurance and tax etc
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”