OLd bike new tyres?

Bikers and riding
captinktm

OLd bike new tyres?

Post by captinktm »

Dark evenings have meant more time to read nonsense about this and that. Anyway I read that tyres that were produced before the electronic aid age were designed to give the rider a longer, progressive warning that they were loosing grip. Where as today's tyres are designed with more grip but less warning as they will rely on the electronics's to help save the day. So my question is this. Are today's top tyres worse or better on a bike without electronic's?
bowber

Re: OLd bike new tyres?

Post by bowber »

Err, I'd say todays tyres are just better full stop! There's loads of modern bikes without traction control so I'm calling bullshit on that anyway, just choose your tyres and got riding.

Steve
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Never 'erd of it
it's just that modern tyres have better compounds of rubber
Old tyres were shite
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

New tyres have got to be better either on an old bike or new.
You don't need a tyre pressure monitoring system to tell you that a tyre has got a puncture or dodgy valve. It still goes down.
ABS? You'll still skid given half a chance.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

captinktm wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:54 pm Dark evenings have meant more time to read nonsense about this and that. Anyway I read that tyres that were produced before the electronic aid age were designed to give the rider a longer, progressive warning that they were loosing grip. Where as today's tyres are designed with more grip but less warning as they will rely on the electronics's to help save the day. So my question is this. Are today's top tyres worse or better on a bike without electronic's?
Never heard that. Can you post a link to your source? Cheers.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

It sounds like bollocks,otherwise they would have to start stating they're not suitable for bikes without traction control.More likely people riding bikes without rider aids are feeling for themselves what their tyre is doing before they get spat off without relying on electronics to bail them out.
Last edited by sprintster on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Oh ye of little faith. I guess you don't read MCN then and there tecno bit? personally I think there could be something in it. I love the way you guys think new is always better, but no worries I run knobblies on the KTM and have no electronic's, just an interesting bit of info. I thought.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

garyboy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:25 pm Never 'erd of it
it's just that modern tyres have better compounds of rubber
Old tyres were shite
Old tyres? what like the Dunlop Sports max ....shite? kept my RI's on the road and track without any electric ery .
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

sprintster wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:07 pm It sounds like bollocks,otherwise they would have to start stating they're not suitable for bikes without traction control.More likely people riding bikes without rider aids are feeling for themselves what their tyre is doing before they get spat off.
How can you say such a thing unless of course your a tyre expert. I don't think the guy was stating that new tyres are any worse, that was my question. He was saying that this is how they were designed and the difference between them. I doubt many people ever find the limits of a tyre on the road anyway old or new.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I used to read mcn fastidiously every week .. but got fed up of their shite when it got new management .. and of course the loss of Kevin Ash, the most sensible read.

I not read the articlke and no doubt it is bassed on facts,
but the facts may be that
that the old rubber was crap, and you could not go too fast safely, as you knew the limits were low.
they were so crap you could feel them going after a little excess input,
so reduced your enthusiasm.
that's where the `feel` thing came in ,, it was not `designed` .. it was simply the best they could do then,
and yes.. you knew when they were going, and could compensate, or shitee u panties.

now the compounds are great, allowing higher speed and more confidence,
but when the grip goes it goes.
simple as :D 8-)
although this is now at a different point of enthusiasm. :D

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”