How Much Mileage Can A Bike Stand?

Bikers and riding
oldoak

Re: How Much Mileage Can A Bike Stand?

Post by oldoak »

Sjaak Lucassen's R1 had 220 000kms on it when I have a peak a couple of years ago.

Original engine and it has been underwater on many an occasion!
gspod

Post by gspod »

Are you talking about an F800gs, if so the early ones had Stator problems. My wife’s went at 55K miles, some go earlier. It’s an expensive fix as you need to buy the updated BMW type - don’t go down the rewind route as it’s a design fault.

The engine will last so if you’re going to keep the bike I would do the upgrade. Sorry I can’t remember the year BMW changed the stator but a quick phone call to a dealer will tell you. Oh and the head bearings need replacing about every 12K miles but it’s not a difficult job.
gbags

Post by gbags »

gspod wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:41 pm Are you talking about an F800gs, if so the early ones had Stator problems. My wife’s went at 55K miles, some go earlier. It’s an expensive fix as you need to buy the updated BMW type - don’t go down the rewind route as it’s a design fault.

The engine will last so if you’re going to keep the bike I would do the upgrade. Sorry I can’t remember the year BMW changed the stator but a quick phone call to a dealer will tell you. Oh and the head bearings need replacing about every 12K miles but it’s not a difficult job.
Yes, mine is 800GS and it’s seven years old.

I’m not mechanical and don’t even know what a stator is but have it serviced regularly. The head bearings were changed this year, chains and sprockets every time the service crew even hear me ride through town, seemingly!
gspod

Post by gspod »

2013 was the year they changed. I would buy a Haynes manual and check the stator- it’s very easy. If it looks a bit brown or any wires are beginning to melt then it may go on a hot journey in Europe - then it’ll come home on the back of a truck :?

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”