Hitting a Deer and Regaining Confidence

Bikers and riding
BlissRider

Post by BlissRider »

The other night after 16 years of riding I hit a deer on my Honda Nighthawk. I went to get gas at the only non-ethanol station around after arguing with my girlfriend. It was a full moon and there are a lot of farm fields near my home, I left the gas station and was heading home, still too full of adrenaline and a bad attitude from arguing. I was going around 70 (too fast considering it was a full moon and the deer are more active then), I crested a hill and there were two deer running across the road. I hit the brakes, hoping to make it between them, when the first deer stopped directly in front of me. I had just enough time to hit my brakes and brace for the impact. I remember seeing the front wheel hit the deer and seeing it go down. I vaguely remember being thrown from the bike but next thing I remember is I am standing in the road looking at my bike on the pavement. I came out ok. Good riding gear and a helmet saved my ass. A few stitches in my elbow and a lot of bruises. But my pride and confidence are a mess, along with the motorcycle. I just keep replaying what happened in my mind. I could have braked harder, I could have swerved, I could have been driving slower. It sucks because I love riding and have for the last 16 years but I keep feeling like I shouldn't even be on a bike with such lousy reaction time and doing multiple things I should have known better than to do. Any advice would be great. I have the chance to score a really nice KLR650 but I'm pretty shaken from the crash.
tempesc

Post by tempesc »

Hi

Ive not hit a deer myself but had this mishap last year the afternoon before i was due to set off solo across Africa

https://youtu.be/QB_cUiZEt-g

I too failed to brake or swerve. It just happened too fast but i have often wondered.

I was shaken for a bit but picked myself up, sourced another bike and left a week later (and had a great time).

My learning was:

- whatever worse outcome might have happened, it didn't. You just have to be grateful and let it go, but

- use the sense of vulnerability to make you a better rider. The experience actually helped me on my trip - it was a wake up call that made me more alert/defensive in how i rode the rest of the trip

- the first day back riding was tough but you soon get back to a more balanced place

Hope this is of some help. Best wishes in your decision.

Cheers
Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tempesc

Post by tempesc »

You've got me reflecting now!

The other thing that helped me was writing down the specific lessons from my accident to increase the chance i don't repeat them. You have already started this in your post. This is a recommended action in the excellent police rider's handbook (uk)

My lessons were:
- Regardless of speed limit riding too fast to react to the inherent risks of the environment (limit of 40mph was too fast but i assumed it must be fine)
- Didn't anticipate/check risk of vehicle pulling out (predictable risk in that environment)
- Inadequate observations at risk hot spot
- mind elsewhere: poor concentration
- ATGATT (all the gear all the time) paid off
- don't assume things work like they do at home (the two vehicles were crossing on the wrong side of the road - would not happen in the uk so i had not recognised the increased risk)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnnyboxer

Re: Hitting a Deer and Regaining Confidence

Post by johnnyboxer »

Don't worry - you were lucky
Somebody I know hit a deer at 40 in broad daylight at 11 am, 2 years ago
Jumped right out on him from a small bunch of trees
He was killed by the deer/impact and can no longer ride
Get out there and ride
We don't know the future
Enjoy the present
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Tough mate but you gotta get back on the bike ,its a one in a million accident , living in rural France i count how many deer and boar have LUCKILY passed just in front of me !!! Best of luck mate
Phil
Alun

Post by Alun »

Welcome to ABR BlissRider.

From where I’m sitting it’s totally natural for confidence to take a hit when you have a smash and a brush with mortality. It’s also good practice to run through events and learn from any mistakes you may have made.

But like most activities it’s impossible to plan for all eventualities, you just need to get back to feeling comfortable with the level of risk versus the reward and move on.

If riding is a big part of your life and you wish to continue then in my experience time back in the saddle is the best and quickest way to regain that smile on your face.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

tempesc wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:07 am This is a recommended action in the excellent police rider's handbook (uk)

As it happens I bought this last week, not had chance to look at it yet.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

The most important positive. ATGATT. You said it yourself. First hand appreciation of how that works, minimal injuries, mostly pride and bike.

Next: yes it could have been worse but the good thing is you do actually know what happened and perhaps how you might have avoided it.

It's worse when its someone else has done the deed. You only have to look to your own riding style as opposed to watching every other person/vehicle on the road and you have already answered the things to look at.

Now its a case of get back up on the bike and enjoy two wheels.

I have come in for criticism from others on how I ride and you have to become immune to some of it. Like on those roads there will be someone says you can go faster which of course is very true. But the margin between how fast you can go and how fast you can stop or avoid an obstruction decreases hugely as speed rises. The reality is that anything can happen, anything can be around the next corner. Picture that same road and the two deer and bumbling along, enjoying the sight and maybe stopping for a look, or being able to stop for a look.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

johnnyboxer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:18 am
He was killed by the deer/impact and can no longer ride

i know it a seroius post ....but ..... :D :D :D :mrgreen:
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map