Sand? Don't you just love it!

Bikers and riding
captinktm

Re: Sand? Don't you just love it!

Post by captinktm »

Griff097 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:12 pm
captinktm wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:23 am
Mike54 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:54 am And I suggest you read the post to which I was referring, which was Dans comment "The general rule is the bigger or heavier the bike the faster you have to go". And my post, "its not about speed", which it isnt. Luggage or no.
Dan's correct. Trying to ride any bike in sand slowly will always result in a struggle. Momentum is everything. I'll tell you why, because if you are riding slowly and front washes the only thing you can do is open the throttle, if you are going too slow then you will simply dig in. But ignore all that, tell us how you ride in sand on a fully loaded ADV bike, simply saying it's not about speed is not much help to inexperienced riders.
It's always going to be more of a challenge on a bigger bike and the more weight and add a passenger into the mix and deep sand is going to be hard work even with a lot of experience.
Some general points for the less experienced look a long way ahead this helps your balance massively and also allows you to plot the easiest route.
You don't have to be constantly accelerating, but always having a constant throttle driving the bike will help to keep your balance and the drag of loose sand can be like having the brakes on so constant power is needed to maintain momentum.
With some momentum it's easier to balance, we all know that, also if you stand up you can use the ends of the handelbars and the footpegs to weight them instead of turning the bars left or right, this works especially well in ruts.
Adding spring preload and compression damping to both ends of the bike is beneficial in soft conditions, also if you are loaded up extra preload on the back will be required anyway to balance the bike.
Chances are a fully loaded bike is way to heavy for most standard suspension, so if you spend a lot of time like this or with a passenger, getting different springs installed will make a big difference to the handling :)
Thanks for your input, lots of good idea's in there. I understand the firming the suspension up to stop the wallowing, but I would have said adding spring preload at the rear so raising the rear of the bike works against you. I have three fuel tanks and if there is sand to be ridden I empty the fronts first, this then weights the rear. When they raced the 950 in the Dakar Meoni would have 50 mm plus extensions on his forks to keep the front of the bike high. So I would say the lower you can run the rear and the higher the front the easier sand becomes, well this is what I have found. As for the constant throttle, this ok for short stretches but eventually the front will wash and you have to open the throttle, and your speed will increase and as shutting off is a no no you will over the course of many miles accelerate, but I understand what your saying that maintaining drive is imperative. I wonder how the tecno bikes with smart suspension work in sand?
gbags

Post by gbags »

Griff097 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:12 pm
captinktm wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:23 am
Mike54 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:54 am

You don't have to be constantly accelerating, but always having a constant throttle driving the bike will help to keep your balance and the drag of loose sand can be like having the brakes on so constant power is needed to maintain momentum.

This guy on YouTube thinks differently:

I'm not contradicting you for a second. I'm still trying to find what works for me. It may just be that there are many ways to get through sand, particularly as there are many kids of sand surface.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Ah the guy could certainly ride in sand, but I am not really on about riding around in a sand pit where the surface of the sand has settled and you have no particular direction to travel in. No I am talking about in a track, with ruts and blown sand. I like the throttle on and off bit though and will try this next time, I still think as Mike said a gentle constant throttle driving the bike forward is better.
gbags

Post by gbags »

So in the UK do you go and practise at the beach or dunes, or something like that?

What a good idea, and I feel daft for not thinking of it.

Anyone reading this do anything similar in Devon?
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Good luck with that, I doubt there are many beaches in the uk you can ride on, I have been chased off lots. I guess you could enter the Weston beach race!
tempesc

Sand? Don't you just love it!

Post by tempesc »

herman

Post by herman »

I have raced in sand in the UK, Slab common but it is Army land. Can't say it was one of my more enjoyable outings.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

tempesc wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:10 am Details of a few here....

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motorin ... n-drive-on
It lists Black Rock Sands, North Wales but looking up the details provided by the local Council states that Motorbikes are not allowed on the Beach which has a 10mph limit
tempesc

Post by tempesc »

Guess that puts pay to the 'keep on the throttle' approach then :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dan66

Post by dan66 »

Andi_Archer wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:49 pm
tempesc wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:10 am Details of a few here....

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motorin ... n-drive-on
It lists Black Rock Sands, North Wales but looking up the details provided by the local Council states that Motorbikes are not allowed on the Beach which has a 10mph limit

Correct, you have to park your bike all on its own just before the beach. Definitely no Motos.
Idiots on jet-skis are fine though.

Dan :(

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”