Pointers for Normandy, France

Bikers and riding
Mikekitts81

Re: Pointers for Normandy, France

Post by Mikekitts81 »

This is the write up about the gpx routes I posted earlier it gives a few places to stay etc ... and gives a little explaining on routes .... Had to take a picture but you can still see the writing o.k
IMG_20170820_1421353.jpg
IMG_20170820_1421353.jpg (148.82 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
IMG_20170820_1421514.jpg
IMG_20170820_1421514.jpg (161.9 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

We have just returned from a too short a visit to Normandy and the area of the D-Day Landings. We were travelling by hire car this time and stayed at the Hotel Campanile Bayeux, :)

https://www.campanile.com/fr/hotels/cam ... =Campanile

which seemed popular with quite a few bikers of numerous nationalities. The service of the staff, the room and meals were all very good. The hotel made a really good base for visiting the area and the town of Bayeux, in particular the hotel is only a few minutes walking distance from the British Military Cemetery and the Museum of the Battle of Normandy. If you go to the museum and intend to visit the tapestry then buy a combined ticket at the MBN which saves both money and time as you do not need to queue to buy a ticket at the second museum but go straight in through the 'group' doorway.

Annually, during July - August, there is a wonderful and free light festival adjacent to the Cathedral, projected onto the Liberty Tree, numerous showings on 'you tube'.

On a couple of previous visits to Dinard, Brittany, we have hired a 'twist and go' scooter :shock: from the village bicycle shop and travelled the local country lanes, quiet and whilst not exactly green laning a great fun way to travel as there is hardly any traffic.

TTFN

Hugh.
Lankryider

Post by Lankryider »

Hi all,

I'm going to Normandy in three weeks. A slight change in circumstance has pushed hotels and B&Bs beyond affordable.

I'm wondering if any of you know a B&B/campsite where they let you pitch up a tent in a covered area, e.g. barn/stable etc. I love camping, but not when getting wet adds too much character to a long weekend away..!

Jonny
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Dowt it most campsites are either 5 star or municipals and most will be closed, some open up for easter weekend but its crawling in france then.. Google the sites to find their web sites even municipals have web sites... Nearest youll get is a tit hut i kid youi not...

Im out late April and nothing major is open till i hit the loire...
herman

Post by herman »

Most municipal campsites have covered area for drying clothes , etc but its optimistic to get a covered camping area as it kind of defeats the object I suspect. We got offered the use of a drying room for bedding down in as a biblical storm was raging but not for pitching in. You also may find most sites are shut in the north until Easter, I know I recently looked. We are booked in a Camponille in Normandy in a weeks time , two blokes, breakfast and three course upgrade on evening meal plus a drink for 121 Euros a night (we went large this time) if that helps your budget. Obviously a Formula one will be cheaper and do your own food but at least you can get dry.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

A couple of years ago a group of us rode lots of Normandy trails over 2 days (Paul, Allen, Russ, Steve, Phil, DiggerBob etc...).

I drove up from Limousin, and Phil from even further south, wondering if the long drive would be worthwhile. Company and accommodation all great, but what would the greenlanes be like?

Well they were really good. Paul's superb local knowledge was very useful of course, but I was surprised at how varied and interesting the trails were, and sometimes quite difficult. Well worth the trip. Big plus for Normandy.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Lankryider wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:04 pm Hi all,

I'm going to Normandy in three weeks. A slight change in circumstance has pushed hotels and B&Bs beyond affordable.

I'm wondering if any of you know a B&B/campsite where they let you pitch up a tent in a covered area, e.g. barn/stable etc. I love camping, but not when getting wet adds too much character to a long weekend away..!

Jonny
I know you said hotels and B&B are beyond affordable but what about a gite? I always use gites de france, though other websites can be found for English owners abroad. I find them good value and you can self cater.
https://www.gites-de-france.com/en/normandy
herman

Post by herman »

daveuprite wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:48 pm A couple of years ago a group of us rode lots of Normandy trails over 2 days (Paul, Allen, Russ, Steve, Phil, DiggerBob etc...).

I drove up from Limousin, and Phil from even further south, wondering if the long drive would be worthwhile. Company and accommodation all great, but what would the greenlanes be like?

Well they were really good. Paul's superb local knowledge was very useful of course, but I was surprised at how varied and interesting the trails were, and sometimes quite difficult. Well worth the trip. Big plus for Normandy.
That's why we are there next week to scope out some more runs.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Jonny...if you head for calvados area you may strike lucky as its the apple blossom season...depends on your level of french and cheekyness :o :lol: ..have a great weekend
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Been to most of the major sites and museums in this area, and rarely will you be disappointed.

Falaise, where that French invader came from, is a great town and not as over touristed. Interesting tank museum there (or was) which appealed to the anorak in me and some nice roads to get there from the NW of Normandy.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”