Wild Camping - APPLECROSS

Bikers and riding
anthony29040

Re: Wild Camping - APPLECROSS

Post by anthony29040 »

cowling wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:51 am I know, I know, tony, you can never be to close to a pub, it's the life blood of any trip!

The time I camped at that spot ,at apple cross was one of my first trips up there, sorted
By tenere mart and sykesy, first time I meet Eric, he lead us up and wild camped behind
That pub near glen co, Eric knows the crack, Eric had to get away the next day, bloody
Next night, 2 miles from the pub,it wouldn't have happened on Eric's watch!!

It was a steady 2 mile ride back after a few sherbets! Good to hear from you Tony!
you coming to Ullapool in September ?
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

I might be wrong but i seem to have heard that they clamped down on it there this year to force people into the campsite...dunno??
cowling

Post by cowling »

Hi Tony, unfortunately not, I have an ABC laning weekend in durham and Northumberland, the off road stuff seams to be taking over my full biking calender, this will be the first year in ages I ain't been to Scotland, normally go 3 to 4 times per year, must admit I'm missing it, had some great weekends up there. Enjoy ! 😀
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

Maybe they just put boulders on edge to stop motorhomes. Sure i noticed them when up there at end of May.
ian.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Is it me or is planning wild camping an oxymoron?
dan66

Post by dan66 »

wonkyd wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:06 am Doing a fast-blast over to Applecross in October and planning on wild camping over there just for one night.

Can anyone suggest anywhere in the village or just on the outskirts to pitch up ?

There's only 2 of us so not a massive camping footprint.

Under Scottish law you can camp anywhere for a night (or maybe two), so long as you leave no trace of your passing. Oh, and not in someones garden!

It was all part of the 'Right to roam' law brought in a few years back, shame it wasn't the same south of the border where the landowning establishment managed to fob us all off with a few footpaths and TRO's on green lanes!

Dan
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

dan66 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:33 amUnder Scottish law you can camp anywhere for a night (or maybe two), so long as you leave no trace of your passing. Oh, and not in someones garden!

It was all part of the 'Right to roam' law brought in a few years back, shame it wasn't the same south of the border where the landowning establishment managed to fob us all off with a few footpaths and TRO's on green lanes!

Dan

Hi Dan,

its a bit more complicated than that these days but you are basically correct

Ian
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Oop North John wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:14 am Is it me or is planning wild camping an oxymoron?
It's not the planning that's the oxymoron,I often plan my wild camps for hillwalking but I'm usually about a 4 hour walk from the nearest road.It's "wild" camping within walking distance of a pub that is the oxymoron.I can still remember when it was just "camping" ;)
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

sprintster wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:06 pm
Oop North John wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:14 am Is it me or is planning wild camping an oxymoron?
It's not the planning that's the oxymoron,I often plan my wild camps for hillwalking but I'm usually about a 4 hour walk from the nearest road.It's "wild" camping within walking distance of a pub that is the oxymoron.I can still remember when it was just "camping" ;)
Very true 😁😁
wonkyd

Post by wonkyd »

Oop North John wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:02 pm
sprintster wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:06 pm
By wild camping I meant not on an actual designated site.

Being a disabled military Veteran I've done my fair share of REAL wild camping ;) so the luxury of having somewhere within an easy walking distance for food is a godsend :D

I'd camp in the back garden of the pub if they'd allow it :lol:

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”