Refused fuel..!!

Bikers and riding
catcitrus

Re: Refused fuel..!!

Post by catcitrus »

Exactly !!--so I've sent a rather sharp reply--they seem to be rather clutching at straws--I'm trying to draw out their real reason for their prejudice but they are clever to not commit in words-we'll see if they respond again. On the practical side I will simply go elsewhere, but I don't like "suits" taking the piss just because they think they can, and get away with it. I stress its not the attendants' fault , and its not fair to put them in such a prejudiced position.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Why is it so difficult to believe that they are not just targeting bikers?

Do you ever notice those icons on the pump saying that you shouldn't use your mobile? There's also one that says you cannot purchase fuel if you are under 16... you probably never noticed.

The law is that they cannot sell fuel to people under the age of 16 so, just like when selling cigarettes, the member of staff needs to determine the age of the person making the purchase. This may mean that you will have to remove something covering your face and show appropriate identification. How is this unreasonable? Saying that you're riding an XYZ750 so you must be over 16 is ridiculous: we hear of children as young as 12 and 13 being caught TWOCing and that lad who was murdered in London the other week was 14 years old and riding a scooter.

Really, if being asked to remove your helmet gets you so upset, maybe you need to readdress your priorities. Life is too short.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

When was the last time someone was asked to remove a baseball cap and sunglasses at a fuel station?
Or even a burkha. The point isn't about being refused, but their reasoning, and good on catcitrus for standing his
ground.
Because nobody under 16 has ever gone joyriding in a car, have they?
OB1

Post by OB1 »

qcnr wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:43 am When was the last time someone was asked to remove a baseball cap and sunglasses at a fuel station?
Or even a burkha. The point isn't about being refused, but their reasoning, and good on catcitrus for standing his
ground.
Because nobody under 16 has ever gone joyriding in a car, have they?

Have you heard about whataboutism? You should read up on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

Just because you haven't seen it happening, does not mean that it doesn't. Maybe they just don't complain as much as middle-aged bikers... :lol:
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

As promised here is the latest reply from the Co-op.
"You have asked for clarification on the governments Challenge 25 campaign. This initiative was introduced a number of years ago and does apply to all age restricted products which includes petrol, cigarettes, lottery tickets, aerosol spray paints and many other items.

The reason why the Government asked all major retailers to adopt the Challenge 25 scheme is that it is much harder for a serving colleague to distinguish the actual age of a member of the public who is 16, 17, 18 or 19 years of age as the changes in physical maturity can be very slight. Prior to Challenge 25, each colleague had to make their own individual judgement on whether a customer was the appropriate age to buy an age restricted product and hence many retailers ended up making errors of judgement leading to prosecution.

The Government therefore considered that it would be easier for a retail store employee to make a visual assessment of customers and judge if they appear to be 25 or above. If the customer appears to be under 25, then identification will be sought. The identification is being sought because in the colleague’s judgement that customer appears to be under 25. The judgement is not that the customer appears to be under 18, but under 25. When identification is then provided, and it verifies the age of the customer, the legal age for the restricted products then applies. So, if a 26 year old is asked to provide ID, when the ID is checked the sale of an item that is restricted by law to 18 can be sold. You don’t have to be 25 to buy the item, but we ask that anyone who appears to be under 25 shows us ID that proves that they are eligible by age to buy an age-restricted product. " quote over.

Now my interpretation of this is that they require the judgement to be for ANYONE who appears to be under 25 , irrespective of whether they are wearing any head cover or not. If applied WITHOUT discrimination against motorcyclists this would keep the petrol attendant's busy!!
If common sense is used I have no problem with them being careful--and the latest response is somewhat removed from the original petrol station request purely applied to all motorcyclists buying fuel, where the age limit is 16. To be honest--in deepest Lincolnshire how many incidences are there of fuel being sold to under age riders, and freedom of information also indicates that driveaways from motorcyclists are nearly as rare as hen's teath.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Trying to decide what i shall do if i'm ever asked to remove my helmet at a petrol station...... I could get wound up about it and start posting a thread on social media about it, followed by more posts. Plus i could also spend more time writing to the company, waiting for a reply and then continuing the correspondence.
Or i could simply take my lid off, get my fuel and go about my day thinking about more important things.

Hmmm, its a tough one.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”