Refused fuel..!!

Bikers and riding
devonuk

Re: Refused fuel..!!

Post by devonuk »

Thanks for your thoughts guys... I guess its just easier for me to fill up whilst sat on the fully loaded GSA with panniers etc. than getting off and putting it on the main stand, as long as my wife is there to pay of course.
Some interesting views and I will try to be more considerate next time...
JonnieGS

Post by JonnieGS »

I've never been in that much of a hurry to refuel the bike, and I always take my helmet off 'cos it just seems polite and manners don't cost anything. I always want people to see me and my bike as a positive thing, and not give them a reason to not want bikers.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

JonnieGS wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:31 am I've never been in that much of a hurry to refuel the bike, and I always take my helmet off 'cos it just seems polite and manners don't cost anything. I always want people to see me and my bike as a positive thing, and not give them a reason to not want bikers.
Me too unless time is really tight fuel stops are a chance to push your bike away from the pumps and have a bit of a rest and stretch your legs. Strangeley the only time i have been refused fuel is in my car,i was about to fill my car but i needed fuel for the bike as well so i brought along a jerrycan to get 10 litres. The woman would not switch on the pump so i went to ask her why and she said "jerrycans are not approved type fuel containers" I explained how they were copied by the British from a safe and well proved German design and had been in use with the military for over 70 years. She replied that i could only have 10 litres in a can to which i replied i will only half fill it then! That didn,t go well so i got in my car and drove 100 yards to the other fuel station where they happily served me. I have never been back to the other one in a few years now.
dan66

Post by dan66 »

frenchy3 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:29 pm
JonnieGS wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:31 am I've never been in that much of a hurry to refuel the bike, and I always take my helmet off 'cos it just seems polite and manners don't cost anything. I always want people to see me and my bike as a positive thing, and not give them a reason to not want bikers.
Me too unless time is really tight fuel stops are a chance to push your bike away from the pumps and have a bit of a rest and stretch your legs. Strangeley the only time i have been refused fuel is in my car,i was about to fill my car but i needed fuel for the bike as well so i brought along a jerrycan to get 10 litres. The woman would not switch on the pump so i went to ask her why and she said "jerrycans are not approved type fuel containers" I explained how they were copied by the British from a safe and well proved German design and had been in use with the military for over 70 years. She replied that i could only have 10 litres in a can to which i replied i will only half fill it then! That didn,t go well so i got in my car and drove 100 yards to the other fuel station where they happily served me. I have never been back to the other one in a few years now.

I have a 20L jerry can that I regularly fill to the brim with no problem! Guess she had just had the H&S lecture!
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

In Halfords yesterday for a few items.....approved 10 and 20 litre steel jerry cans on the shelf!!
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

I Regularly fill up 4x20L Jerrys at a time and once or twice have filled a 150 litre drum in the back of my truck (had of course to put the handle back at 100litre and start again), it all depends on the station (I find those with low paid foreign staff to be particularly helpfull :D )
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Just for the interest of any of you boys and girls trailering small bikes down to Spain, where you can carry up to 240 litres of fuel in a private car, in 'approved' containers of up to 60 litres - not sure if I could pick one up!

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

devonuk wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:56 pm Thanks for your thoughts guys... I guess its just easier for me to fill up whilst sat on the fully loaded GSA with panniers etc. than getting off and putting it on the main stand, as long as my wife is there to pay of course.
I've often wondered why GS owner's always seem to put the bike on the centre stand to fill up as nobody else seems to. :?:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

sprintster wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:57 am
devonuk wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:56 pm Thanks for your thoughts guys... I guess its just easier for me to fill up whilst sat on the fully loaded GSA with panniers etc. than getting off and putting it on the main stand, as long as my wife is there to pay of course.
I've often wondered why GS owner's always seem to put the bike on the centre stand to fill up as nobody else seems to. :?:
I`ve always had bikes with centre stands, currently S10 and always fill them up on centre stand, why wouldn`t you? :o
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

My bike also has a centre stand but it's much easier just to flick down the side stand.I don't feel the need to get an extra teacup of petrol in.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”