Refused fuel..!!

Bikers and riding
Mark1961

Re: Refused fuel..!!

Post by Mark1961 »

DavidS wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:56 am By the time you've argued, you could have taken the helmet off an put it back on again.
I really don't understand why it's such a hassle.

Plus it's polite if you're entering someone elses premises, even if it is only a garage. Do you keep your helmet on whan you do any other shopping? Apart from dodgy internet purchases ;)
Imagine being the 18 year old cashier in a garage when 5 teenagers on ratty mopeds with their helmets on come in, if nothing else, it has to feel threatening.

There are more important things to be worried about.

Well said David. A bit of respect for other people, It cost nothing. This subject comes up every now and then. I never understand why it's a problem. Those who do have an issue with it. Always seem to be wrapped up in their own self importance.
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
herman

Post by herman »

Good to see you here Mark ;)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I have resisted posting a reply for a while but cannot any longer

I have reread what I previously wrote just to be sure

There was no where to put my lid apart from on the floor or ground so I kept it on the top of my head
The attendant would not switch the fuel on and kept flapping his arms at me
I went into the shop to ask what the problem was. I was told to remove my lid to which I replied that they could easily see my face

After all that I decided not to bother getting fuel there and I took my business elsewhere ... my personal choice after all

So I am not quite sure how I was being so self-absorbed as described above ... perhaps people should keep their own rude and judgmental comments to themselves.

Just an idea - novel though it seems
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
Monster

Post by Monster »

BUMP

On the fuel / helmet debate
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Monster wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:22 pm BUMP

On the fuel / helmet debate
I sort of remember this "old" thread---and I agree with you. I really don't get the approach by some fuel stations as its so obvious whether you are a "dodgy" person or not--and surely the counter staff can be expected to use their discretion by their management. The key is that the only law is related to their licence and they must take sufficient care NOT to serve anyone under 16 and thats it. I'm not sure that they have carte blanche to make up their own rules as they are allowing free public access and offering a service.The definition of a road for road traffic purposes includes the phrase " .. or other road to which the public has access" which covers car parks, garage forecourts etc. http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/Acts/ukpga/... The normal rules and regs therefore apply when on the garage forecourt. They can't do anything to contravene them--I'm not sure whether they actually have the authority to even make their own rules-as I said above-simply all they can do is to abide by the rules of their dispensing licence.
With my rather arthritic hands on a cold day I do struggle with the double D rings so am not keen to take my helmet off for a quick fill up..
Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

Take your helmet off, smile sweetly and carry on. Life has other problems more worthy of concern than this. Just my view of course.
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I'm still waiting for a reply from the Co-op--its not the staff's fault--its the suits at central office who normally get away with stuff--a matter of principle really. I still buy my car fuel from there and they know who I am and there isn't a problem. However, I have other choices for bike fuel and my 20 litre Jerry can at home, As you say--life goes on and we work around the idiots--but thats not to say that we should meekly accept their prejudice and poorly thought out "rules".
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

Ooops!
Not all those wandering are lost
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Just got this from the Co-op-
"Thank you for coming back to us on this matter.

We are sorry that you were not happy with our initial response to our enquiry.

However, we must reaffirm that our policy at Central England Co-operative is that we require motorcyclists to remove their safety helmet or any other item of headwear to ensure that we as a business and our colleagues are fully compliant with our pledge to ensure that we do not sell age restricted products to people who are underage.

The Society follows the governments ‘Challenge 25’ age restriction policy. This asks that our colleagues assess if a customer who is asking to purchase an age restricted product looks 25 years of age and ID will be requested if the customer does not look this age. The removing of the helmet or headgear allows colleagues to make a visible decision on whether the customer looks 25 or under and if the issue needs to be escalated further. This is a policy that is in place across all of our Food Stores and Petrol Filling Stations when in connection with the sale of age restricted products."

We again apologise for any upset or offence that may have been caused by this issue and we hope the answers provided are sufficient.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance."

Apparently challenge 25 is about selling alcohol, nothing to do with fuel!!
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

But only motorcyclists...
Wear a Burkha under your helmet.... :lol:

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”