Bike theft

Bikers and riding
Dark Knight

Bike theft

Post by Dark Knight »

Received an e mail from Bennets with some bike theft statistics, over 70 bikes are being stolen a day, some to order, with the majority from the owners premises.
There is even trucks going down the motorway with guys inside stripping the bikes down to parts for sale.
There is definitely the possibility that they are accessing the DVLA database to find the bikes location.
So what you have to do is get a mate to register as the bikes keeper on the DVLA database but I suppose your bikes would have to be worth stealing.
So if you have a few bikes, total value would have to be greater than say £20k?
Andi_Archer

Re: Bike theft

Post by Andi_Archer »

It a relativly small amount around £3.50 I saw mentioned to get details from the DVLA on a vehicle for an "aledged parking offence fine"
Bartty

Post by Bartty »

The figure of 70 motorcycles a day should be enough for the authorities to instigate a crackdown, they know who these people are! However, from my experience, the figure doesn't represent the true severity. In April of this year, my wife and I were woken by the police at 3.30am, informing us they had recovered my motorcycle. I didn't know it was missing. They took it using a scooter to push the bike over half a mile, but were spotted and made off. My bike was recovered.

If that wasn't a shock, being told by the dealer that the frame may be bent from the action of the steering lock being broken and my forthcoming road trip looked to be in jeopardy. I reported all the details to the insurance broker and later got a call back from a different department, who took all the details again, informing me that I would be contacted by a service partner for a 30 minute telephone interview. During this process I was informed that they would arrange collection to an approved workshop. I replied that the bike was at the manufacturers dealer and they would carry out the work to ensure it remained in warranty. My cost for that exercise was a further £350 excess on top of the £250 I signed up for.

During this time, the dealer inspected the bike, ordered the parts and with my agreement cracked on and three weeks later, I was back on the road. Now back in procession of my bike, I'm informed that an insurance assessor will be in touch to arrange a visit. To get the certainty, I paid a total of £850 (£250 more than waiting for the insurer). A price I thought worth paying.

I made my trip and the bike is now parked out of sight behind a secure gate. At least, it was secure until I had a return visit by these scum bags who attempted to move the bike by smashing down the gate, causing more damage. Fortunately they caused sufficient noise to wake both my son and I up, and the sight of house lights and a Surefire torch was sufficient for them to disappear.

The police were called and arrived very quickly. A local police unit also arrived allowing the first to drive off and skirt the area. Whilst my son and I were waiting, a white van passed us in excess of the 30 mph speed limit and five minutes later headed past, in the opposite direction. It's now 3.15 am. With the events of the previous 45 mins, we never made the connection between the van and the attempted theft. With the driver and passenger in the van and the four on the road, it would have been very easy to lift a 260 kg bike into the back.

I am probably another £850 worse off after installing a further ground anchor, further lights, steel bracing bar and padlocks.

So how many "everyday Joes'" like me, who still have their treasured steeds have had to go through this s**t and are not included in the 70 a day. If it wasn't for the police in the first instance and the brief fight our gates put up, it could have been 71 on one of those days.

Any ideas on how we can raise awareness?
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Maybe you need a shotgun.
Bartty

Post by Bartty »

Considering this.
http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?mai ... ts_id=2964
Security company told me that this is popular with scooter owners in rural areas. The chap said "when it goes off, if they don't have a heart attack, they'll s**t themselves". About to put this to the test.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I've had one for years--and the skull and crossbones warning sign--ignore and pass at your peril !!--12 gauge blank --shame its not live!--but then we are already treading into a dodgy area if "the little darling" has a heart attack. Hence a warning sign is a must I think. ;)

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”