Will a Tenere 660 fit in my transporter?

Bikers and riding
DocDarwin

Will a Tenere 660 fit in my transporter?

Post by DocDarwin »

Hello All,
Just got a 'new' Tenere. Hoping to pick it up in person and save a little cash/anxiety by not using a courier.
My question is a bit broader than my title, but anyone actually got one in the back of a SWB VW transporter before? I know I could try to work this out from measurements online, etc, but thought I'd just ask first.
Also, any tips or obvious errors to make in transporting a motorbike like this? I confess I'm clueless and have absolutely no experience in this at all. I'm guessing plenty of cargo straps and padding. Luckily the van has a few cargo lashing points.
Thanks!
diggermanbob

Re: Will a Tenere 660 fit in my transporter?

Post by diggermanbob »

I think you might need to strip the screen and mirrors off , I can get my xt660 in the back of my vito compact , just have to take screen and mirrors off , and I'm sure the tenere is taller ? I just put the side stand down and have one strap pulling forward and on backwards , pulling he weight down on the side stand. Good luck. (thumbs)
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Be wary of strapping down using side stand. I did this. Was clueless as well. First roundabout I came to bike went over top of stand and through my van window.
I now use a lifting stand and place under bash plate. Then ratchet it down onto stand with 2 forward straps. Bike in gear. 1 strap going backward. Bike doesn't move.
Everyone has their own method. Side stand may work for some but not for me.
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

You should be fine. My Africa twin fits in the back of my SWB transporter with the screen removed.
I position the front wheel tight up to the back of the front seats (or bulkhead if fitted) and put a piece of ply under the side stand to stop it damaging/compressing the cushioned rubber load mat.
I then compress the suspension with ratchet straps down to the floor load points which takes a lot of the lean out.
Once you've driven a few miles, check the straps again and tighten to take out any 'bounce' then turn off the fuel because you forgot to do it beforehand!
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I rode my f650gs to collect my T4, took the screen and mirrors off then put it in the back of the van. The pinch point is usually when the handlebars go through the rear door aperture ...... sometimes you trap your hand other times the sump grinds out on the bumper/van floor.
If you've got side windows then be careful of the bar ends smashing the window. I now put road bikes in backwards, leave them in gear and strap them against the internal ply lined walls but it is a 2 man job even with proper ramps.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

Exactly as Bob says.
I've an old shape peugeot expert, smaller than a transporter and have had up to a klr650 in the back with mirrors removed. I use the sidestand too, never any problem in thousands of km, bars turned to the right, f wheel up tight against bulkhead, strap on right bar going to rear right tie point, strap on left bar down to left front tie point.Thin piece of ply under sidestand stops scuffing of rubber floor lining if you have it.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

I have seen an image on a previous similar question about transporting a bike and the poster made a front wheel chock frame from 2x4 lumber thus stabalising the bike whilst its straped down
RandG

Post by RandG »

I got an older tenere in a fiat doblo a couple years back when I bought it, had to remove the front seat but other than than, was relatively easy, though actually I had to remove the rear seats also :laugh: but that was an easy 2 minute job. (thumbs)
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

yes
DocDarwin

Post by DocDarwin »

Thanks for the advice. All helpful.
And also just a general thank you to the forum users. Just joined the forum a week, or so, ago and have posted two questions. Both questions have received really useful and clearly experienced advice.
I am in another forum (not motorbike related) for which I am continually amazed by the rudeness of many other experienced users given to beginners' questions.
Cheers,

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”