2017 DAKAR rally...wtf...!!!

Bikers and riding
Scott_rider

Re: 2017 DAKAR rally...wtf...!!!

Post by Scott_rider »

Crossrutted wrote:
So flat-out you can miss bends and disappear over the edge & down a very steep bank littered with tree stumps - eh????? :whistle:
:blush: Yes, you can. I'd forgotten about that. My life flashed before me when that happened :blush: .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Crossrutted wrote:
Scott_rider wrote:
Mike54 wrote:Doing an amateur rally in Pro class is more than tough enough, believe me :laugh: :laugh:
I can imagine. I've done the Hafren rally a handful of times and that's easy, a bit like a flat-out trail ride more than anything else :laugh: . I know it's not a 'proper' rally in any shape or form but when you're pulling 80mph on a 450 KTM and someone still comes past you faster, it does make you think how good some riders are (thumbs) .
So flat-out you can miss bends and disappear over the edge & down a very steep bank littered with tree stumps - eh????? :whistle:
Something like that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's more when you're on the top of an 800 metre dune, engine wont start and all you hear is the wind whistling and no other engines, can't see anyone for 30 miles in any direction and you think to yourself "hm, might be in the shit here :laugh: )
herman

Post by herman »

Scott_rider wrote:
Crossrutted wrote:
:blush: Yes, you can. I'd forgotten about that. My life flashed before me when that happened :blush: .
You too huh :blush:
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

Opolgies to the OP for digressing, but as loads of others are....... :whistle:

Having done a few enduro's - the Welsh 2 Day, Powys etc thought I'd try a Welsh rally for a change

Lining up at the start of the Cambrian on a WR 250 next to a CRF 230 and Triumph 800 wondered which one of us had chosen the wrong bike!
A lap later after being overtaken on the fireroads by loads of nutters power sliding past a 80 MPH + on big KTM twins - although they did a mass 'dissappear over the edge' thing once :ohmy:
Then again in the air by a bloke on another massive bike on Strada Florida
A HP1 and Cagiva Elephant also seemed to be cruising around happily!

At the special test which was more technical than the course, decided the WR would come into it's own here, went at it like the clappers (for me!) even overtaking riders that had started 30 seconds before me - to only later discover Craig Bounds had done it in less than half my time on a KTM 690!!!

That's when I realised it's nothing to do with bike choice - but who's on it

If doing such an easy rally over a mere 2 days was a tiny little glimpse into that world where what's required of riders looks at least x 100 to me, the chap who thought some of the Paris Dakar riders lacked skill must be mixing the Paris Dakar up with the Taffy Dakar! :)
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

^...spot on with what you said (thumbs) . The rally guys are very, very, good riders.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

ggp59 wrote: That's when I realised it's nothing to do with bike choice - but who's on it
Same with tarmac riding. The number of times I've been at Cadwell Park and all the rainbow warriors on the latest sports bikes are being taught by some bloke in ratty leathers on a Fazer 600 and he's riding round the outside of them one handed :laugh:

(I was a rainbow warrior on a GSXR400RR if you must ask!!)
g00ner

Post by g00ner »

Is anyone else shouting at the 'lost' riders to 'go that way' aided with the benefit of the helicopter view :laugh:
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

bowber wrote:
Have you ever done an Enduro? Do you know how much physical effort goes into it?
Have you ever been so knackered that the most simple obvious decision just goes out the window?
Afterwards you wonder why you decided to go left instead of right, it was bloody obvious you were going to get stuck but at the time your befuddled brain thought it was the best way.

You can't sit in a nice air cooled room watching and replaying a video and say a basic riding mistake makes the rider a novice, you make mistakes too.

Steve
I'm with you 100% on this.

I did a couple of enduros as a youngster (I was a very fit soldier at the time) and did quite well - podiums :P . However, I was so knackered at the end of the day I could barely stand up let alone make sensible decisions. To navigate as well, fix the bike for the next day, get 3 hours sleep (I'm talking 'malle moto' here) and do it all again 13 times more takes hard men - and women - Hi Jenny!

I understand JohnyBoxers point of view. I thought it was better in the old African days with all comers taking part in all sorts of vehicles but I think he was a bit strong with saying it was now boring. Maybe not quite as entertaining but not boring. Especially this year as the usual front runners are not doing so well (or have moved on), giving the rest a better chance.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

ggp59 wrote:Opolgies to the OP for digressing, but as loads of others are....... :whistle:

Having done a few enduro's - the Welsh 2 Day, Powys etc thought I'd try a Welsh rally for a change

Lining up at the start of the Cambrian on a WR 250 next to a CRF 230 and Triumph 800 wondered which one of us had chosen the wrong bike!
A lap later after being overtaken on the fireroads by loads of nutters power sliding past a 80 MPH + on big KTM twins - although they did a mass 'dissappear over the edge' thing once :ohmy:
Then again in the air by a bloke on another massive bike on Strada Florida
A HP1 and Cagiva Elephant also seemed to be cruising around happily!

At the special test which was more technical than the course, decided the WR would come into it's own here, went at it like the clappers (for me!) even overtaking riders that had started 30 seconds before me - to only later discover Craig Bounds had done it in less than half my time on a KTM 690!!!

That's when I realised it's nothing to do with bike choice - but who's on it

If doing such an easy rally over a mere 2 days was a tiny little glimpse into that world where what's required of riders looks at least x 100 to me, the chap who thought some of the Paris Dakar riders lacked skill must be mixing the Paris Dakar up with the Taffy Dakar! :)
The UK ones are a world away from a full nav event where even on the amateur ones you're still doing 300 miles plus per day, all navigation and no loops or repeats, with special stages which are well over 100 miles long in the main. Bring in heat (desert rally) and roadbook dangers and its absolutely draining. How the top guys ride the speed they do and navigate I have no idea. The danger is immense, and for us mortals, it's just not possible to ride the way you can in a UK special on an international when its such distance and danger
flipflopdog

Post by flipflopdog »

Hey Gents, this is/has turned into a great little discussion/thread with minimal keyboard warrior intervention...!! As far as endurance fatigue affecting skill level is concerned my brief experience into this area was Enduro Africa 2009, (around 7 or 8 days cant remember now)in the saddle, some days 12hrs at it and before anyone says ...pffff, easy rehearsed gentle cotton wool stuff, get fkd, hard core riding led by S/A's best enduro riders at the time ( Darryl Curtis x2 Dakar entries) but my point is as someone else here mentioned, when fatigue kicks in the decisions you make are sometimes random and can be the consiquence of the outcome ( ie: end of the race for you...!!!). It's great reading gents and i really do feel a ktm 690 could be on the cards sometime around spring...!!!! (juice's flowing)

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”