Recommend me a multi-bike insurer...

Bikers and riding
Jersey87

Recommend me a multi-bike insurer...

Post by Jersey87 »

Hello all

I assume there'll be a fair few of you that will produce some light-hearted stories of insurers that couldn't be less bothered by your incident/accident or the remuneration you fully expected :whistle:

But any and all advice is welcome as I'm completely new to this UK insurance lark. :huh:

Basically I'm moving to the UK in a couple of months with my current steed (F800GS) and the provider I'm with at the moment won't insure me past 28 days in your fair land. As such, I need to find a UK based provider that I can set up a new policy with.

One small catch is that the bike isn't registered with the DVLA as we have our own version (the DVS) over here.

Also, I'm planning on getting myself a van (probably a Transporter) and chucking this bike and potentially a trail bike in the back as I travel about so I'm guessing it'd be simpler to go for a multi-bike type policy. Over here I have a 'Rider Policy' which enables me to ride any bike up to a set cc fully comp be it either owned by me or which I have had permission to use...but I don't believe these exist on the mainland :(

Anyway, cheers for any tips.
Jersey (thumbs)

P.S. I'll likely be asking further questions in the next few weeks as the job I'm doing has me moving around hospitals all over the country so local knowledge would always be welcome re trails, mechanics, etc.
Billy Bananahead

Re: Recommend me a multi-bike insurer...

Post by Billy Bananahead »

I can't say that i can recommend any of the robbing bastards but this year i went with Bikesure/Adrian Flux.
Only got the two insured at the mo' but will be adding a third in the New Year sometime.
Redsoul

Post by Redsoul »

I gave up years ago with multi bike insurance as they just try to scam you...found it much cheaper to get separate policies.
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

In the past I've used these brokers http://www.2insure.co.uk/contact-us for up to 4 bikes on one policy - I think the under writers were Equity Red Star

I now use these people http://www.ducatiinsurance.co.uk (you don't need to have a Ducati) and they will cover up to 10 bikes on one policy.
RandG

Post by RandG »

Emf#53 wrote:In the past I've used these brokers http://www.2insure.co.uk/contact-us for up to 4 bikes on one policy - I think the under writers were Equity Red Star

I now use these people http://www.ducatiinsurance.co.uk (you don't need to have a Ducati) and they will cover up to 10 bikes on one policy.
That's very interesting cause when I went to add a 3rd bike to my policy they said they (Hastings Direct) would only allow two bikes.
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Asked Carol Nash for a quote to add a 1970 bantam (SORNED) and they wanted a fortune. Asked my current insurance (Bennett's) and added for £40 to my current policy. this includes mileage for when the bike is taken off sorn and back on the road. So I'm happy (thumbs)
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

I use Carole Nash- I have a multibike policy; while my wife has a 6 wheel policy(bike & van)
to add 4 bikes to my bike policy was £13.00(total)!!!(at time of renewal)..all additions were 250cc
I think it depends upon a large number of factors..area, age, riding claims, garaged, pillions,mileage,security, profession, number of presa canario or rotties ;) etc.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

I've always found Carol Nash were best...Bennetts were a bunch of clowns who didn't recognise either GasGas or CCM models.

My experience with Bennetts was I tried for an on-line quote, they referred this to their call centre. I tried the call centre with the above result. I then got a load of emails from Bennetts telling me I should insure with them.

I shudder to think how they would get on with processing a claim...
*Touring Ted*

Post by *Touring Ted* »

Redsoul wrote:I gave up years ago with multi bike insurance as they just try to scam you...found it much cheaper to get separate policies.
Problem there is that you can only use your NCD on ONE policy at a time.

Some folk don't realist this and tell both insurance companies that they have no claims.

It invalidates BOTH policies or at least leaves you with massive excess prices and headaches should you need to claim or are involved in an accident.
Redsoul

Post by Redsoul »

*Touring Ted* wrote:
Redsoul wrote:I gave up years ago with multi bike insurance as they just try to scam you...found it much cheaper to get separate policies.
Problem there is that you can only use your NCD on ONE policy at a time.

Some folk don't realist this and tell both insurance companies that they have no claims.

It invalidates BOTH policies or at least leaves you with massive excess prices and headaches should you need to claim or are involved in an accident.
Thanks Ted for teaching me how to suck eggs lol....separate policies without any NCB were still a lot CHEAPER than a multi bike policy.....did you notice I can use capitals as well numpty.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”