StEUpidity...

Bikers and riding
Richard Simpson

StEUpidity...

Post by Richard Simpson »

I voted remain...but it was a close thing.

Here's an example of StEUpidity that we would do well to avoid

British motorsport could end due to EU ruling

The outcome of a government consultation on a piece of EU insurance legislation could end motorsport in the UK.

Yesterday, the Government issued a document for public consultation<https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... k-judgment>, which gives an option of implementing the European Court decision known as the 'Vnuk judgment'. The ruling makes it compulsory for anyone using any form of motorised transport to have third party damage and injury insurance. This will affect all participants in all forms of motorsport.

The insurance industry has made it clear to government that third party risks for motorsport activities are uninsurable, not least because of the sheer number of potential vehicle damage claims that would arise. Therefore, if implemented, the Vnuk judgment would wipe out all legal motor and motorcycle sport activity.

In the UK, the motorsport industry employs over 50,000 people, generates a total of £11 billion of sales each year and is backed up by a world-leading high performance engineering industry.

Motorcycle competition is a popular UK Sport and generates much needed income in rural areas, with over 1.9 million spectators watching around 58,000 riders attend an average of over 4000 off-road and track events each year. These range from junior motocross to the British Superbikes, which would all end without the required insurance under the ECJ ruling.*

MCIA, ACU and AMCA call on the government to exempt motor and motorcycle sport from any changes to insurance law which arise from the ECJ judgement. While the UK remains in the EU, even a temporary implementation of the ruling, as suggested by the Department for Transport in its consultation document, would be fatally damaging to what is an important industry and net contributor to the UK economy.

Speaking for the ACU<https://www.acu.org.uk/>, AMCA<http://www.amca.uk.com/> and MCIA<http://www.mcia.co.uk/>, Steve Kenward, CEO of MCIA says:

"At a stroke, this would wipe out a successful industry and all the jobs that go with it, as well as eliminating a popular leisure pursuit for 1.9 million people, along with the boost that this gives to both local and national economies.

"If the government implements the Vnuk judgment un-amended, British motorcycle sport would end in the UK. Given that we are coming out of the EU, we are astonished that the government is even considering an option to implement Vnuk. We call on ministers to end uncertainty and put a stop to Vnuk in the UK."

Background:

The Vnuk judgment imposes compulsory third party injury and damage insurance to all vehicles of any kind when used on any type of land. As well as affecting all motorsport vehicles, it could affect electric bicycles, sit-on lawnmowers, golf buggies, mobility scooters and even uninsured vehicles parked on private property under the Statutory Off-Road Notification scheme. The ruling stems from a case involving a Slovenian farm worker, who was hurt falling from a ladder, which was hit by a reversing tractor.
petecam

Re: StEUpidity...

Post by petecam »

I don't believe for a second this would happen....for a start Motorsport is massive in Germany as well.

Are you sure this didn't come from the Daily Racist? (Mail)

cheers
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Nope, it came from the industry body for motorcycling, as stated.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

The linky thingy in the first post produces a page not found message :unsure:
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
-Ralph-

StEUpidity...

Post by -Ralph- »

Richard Simpson wrote:

British motorsport could end due to EU ruling

The outcome of a government consultation....

which gives an option of implementing the European Court decision known as the 'Vnuk judgment'.

Given that we are coming out of the EU, we are astonished that the government is even considering an option to implement Vnuk.
Please could we avoid the "StEUpidity" of sensationalist headlines and thread titles that place the blame where it does not belong?

"could end due to EU ruling"

NO. As made very clear by the article. It could end if the UK GOVERNMENT take up the OPTION to implement.

But the headline blames it on an EU ruling. No wonder there is so much confusion in this country about what is and what isn't an EU problem. With such a narrow majority had there not been such confusion we wouldn't be leaving the EU now.

I voted Remain, but I've come to the conclusion we should leave the EU because culturally we don't fit. The fact our government are considering this just proves it.

In the UK we like order, we like rules, we like standing in nice orderly queues and wearing our seat belts. It makes us feel safe.

So something like this comes along and every other government laughs and sticks up two fingers to the ECJ, we read it, and some lefty liberal civil servant says "ooh yeah, they've got a point you know, why didn't we think of that?" and we start the process of implementing it. And they won't just implement it, they'll add bits of their own and feel very clever because they dreamed that bit up.

Then the press blame it on the EU and half the country are too bloody stupid to read the rest of the article and see it for what it is.

Calling it StEUpidity is just so ironic it's not funny, why don't we call it StUKpidity, because that's what it is.

The article makes it very clear where the problem lies "astonished that the government is even considering", so why does the thread title and headline reference the EU?

Let's get out the EU before we do ourselves any more damage, we've enough lefty liberalist idiots in Westminster to dream up problems and invent "solutions", we don't need the EU to give us any more ideas.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I don't think we'll see many EU countries taking up the option to impose it but we might still do it once we've left the EU because we're stupid and it would back up the idea that the EU make us do everything they say.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

AndyB wrote:I don't think we'll see many EU countries taking up the option to impose it but we might still do it once we've left the EU because we're stupid and it would back up the idea that the EU make us do everything they say.
When it happens, and it will happen, I'm going to laugh so damn hard at the Brexiteers I'll need a lie down.

What am I talking about? The day after we've left the EU, that we implement a new EU directive, because they are doing it and if we don't we'll be "left behind".

:silly: :silly: :blink: :blink:
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
bowber

Post by bowber »

Regardless of who is responsible for implementing this it'll be another step to compulsory personal 3rd party insurance.

Steve
bowber

Post by bowber »

In fact, why did this case even get to this point?
A farm worker injured at work should be insured by the farms business insurance (employee liability), if they weren't then that's the fault of the business for not being insured correctly, in which case the probability of the farm having correctly insured the tractor is very low.
So it's another case of a law or ruling that only effects the people who take notice of it, the people who don't insure now will still not insure after this becomes law!

Steve
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I notice that the article refers to 'motorised transport'. I imagine that a clever QC will successfully argue that motorsport isn't 'transport' in the legal definition of that word. However, that will cost hundreds of thousands of pounds to prove in the court process... :whistle:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”