Not retail price no free gift WTF

Bikers and riding
-Ralph-

Not retail price no free gift WTF

Post by -Ralph- »

I think they hope that once you've already made the journey and you are standing there, you will cut your losses and just pay the higher price.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
AndyB

Re: Not retail price no free gift WTF

Post by AndyB »

I went into the Halfords store in Bedford with a discount code to give me 10% off goods and was told that it was only for Internet sales. Ok, I explained that I'd driven there to look at the different satnavs they had available and had made my choice but didn't want to stand there, order it on my phone then wait 30 minutes while they found one and took it to the collection point.

They wouldn't budge so I went into Currys which is about 100 yards away, had a chat about price matching and was given a price dearer than the Halfords voucher price but cheaper than their shop price. That'll do for me I thought, paid the money and walked out happy.

I nearly went back to Halfords to show them I'd bought the satnav elsewhere but nobody would care so I just got in the car and went home.
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

nice one, think i would have gone in the shop for devilment, one of my gopro 4's has just packed so went to john lewis who did a great deal in the first place swapped for the latest gopro 5 and charged me the discounted difference of £20.01 i was made up. suppose i could have stuck to my guns and insisted on a replacement at no cost but the service they give makes up for it.

steve
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

AndyB wrote:I went into the Halfords store in Bedford with a discount code to give me 10% off goods and was told that it was only for Internet sales. Ok, I explained that I'd driven there to look at the different satnavs they had available and had made my choice but didn't want to stand there, order it on my phone then wait 30 minutes while they found one and took it to the collection point.

They wouldn't budge so I went into Currys which is about 100 yards away, had a chat about price matching and was given a price dearer than the Halfords voucher price but cheaper than their shop price. That'll do for me I thought, paid the money and walked out happy.

I nearly went back to Halfords to show them I'd bought the satnav elsewhere but nobody would care so I just got in the car and went home.
I've had a similar issue at PC World with a USB hard drive, so I did click and collect on my phone, whilst I was holding the item in my other hand, and went straight to the collection point with my reservation number.

"Oh sorry sir, you need to leave at least an hour before collection so we can go and get the product off the shelf for you"

"That's no problem, I've already done that bit for you. Here's the product, I've paid for it and here's my proof of purchase on my phone. Now I'm walking through that door with it! Is there any paperwork you'd like to do before I go?"

At that point he starts punching the reservation code into the till and printing my receipt.

Realise you can't do that with Argos as they are in the warehouse behind the scenes, or Halfords sat navs you probably need someone to get one out the glass cabinet, but if it's an off the shelf product just be brazen about it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
petecam

Post by petecam »

I think the point is here we are talking about a wool hat that probably cost a couple of quid if that, its not like they were going to loose much by giving him the hat.

By refusing however, we are now talking about this on here and I'm sure if I PM'd the OP I could get the name of the shop and ensure they don't get any of my business. He's been very good not naming and shaming TBH!

They also lost out on free advertising for Arai which could have been gained by him wearing the hat to the next ABR meet and telling everyone how good Arai and said shop were.

Very short sighted if you ask me, yes businesses need to make money and yes everyone wants as much off as they can but good will and a bit of advertising goes a long way. IMHO
hornet

Post by hornet »

Asking for a deal is just fine it's how you do it that matters however some places reply in such a way that they really offend the buyer

One of my finest moments on the day I passed my bike hike test I walked into a bike shop with 6 grand in cash in my pocket ready to buy a bike. Now anyone who knows bowers bike shop in Bury St Edmund's know the old man is not great to deal with in short I simply asked him to give me some help on choosing my new steed but he wouldn't leave his comfy chair and just wouldn't engage at all so yup I said I really was ready to buy and still no interest so the cash came out and his eyes lit up and almost leapt out of his chair but there was never any chance of him having my money so I simply said sorry too late. I then went to another shop where I had a really long chat about all sorts of stuff had coffee and then the owner of the store gave me all the info I needed and job done oh yeah and he introduced me to my missus as well.

Buying stuff is a game I enjoy it you can have fun and get a deal if you play nice

Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I find it bizarre that people want to walk around advertising for other people by wearing their labels. I always try to buy stuff where I can without labels. If I bought a hat I would buy one from a hat manufacturer rather than one that was advertising a helmet manufacturer. I think years ago motorcycle companies gave away branded clothing items to dealers to advertise their business, nowadays they sell branded clothing to make money. A friend who used to work for Warrs Harley Davidson said that they made more money from selling t shirts etc than they did from the bikes.
I think when you buy a bike it makes sense to try and haggle to get some extras fitted free and if the dealer does this it costs them very little but gains a lot in customer satisfaction.
Having said that if CCM had given me a free t shirt with my bike I would not have turned it down. They were however a pleasure to do business with and I came away with a bike that I wanted for a price that I thought was reasonable.
Many years ago I got some compensation money and considered buying a new Triumph or BMW but both the dealers were so rude and lacking in knowledge about the bikes they were selling I walked away and bought a secondhand bike instead.
Cheers Jak
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

A couple of weeks ago l drove to observe at one of our club trials as l got to the venue l felt the bump bump bump of a nail in the tyre having seen the size of it l put a pic on Facebook of said roofing screw, l rec a private message from the dealer who supplied my car saying "take it in in the morning & we'll do it FOC, which they did & washed & vacced the extremely mucky car, now that's a better freebie than any beanie hat!!!
image_2016-12-21.jpeg
image_2016-12-21.jpeg (38.23 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I agree with Jak that dealing with CCM was a great experience. They have a product they know is a good one and know what they can sell it for in order to remain a viable business, whilst I need my hard-earned money to go as far as possible so we came to a mutually acceptable price . We both came away happy (thumbs)

Whilst they have to charge for delivery ( fuel and a driver don't come free) they were happy to waive this if I was happy to wait until they were coming down this way. I liked that (thumbs) (thumbs)

In the end I enjoyed going up in person to have a look around and meet the staff, which they welcomed.....and they made me a cuppa....and I got to keep the cup (thumbs)
petecam

Post by petecam »

hornet wrote: Now anyone who knows bowers bike shop in Bury St Edmund's know the old man is not great to deal with in short I simply asked him to give me some help on choosing my new steed but he wouldn't leave his comfy chair

Mike
Ha I've had to deal with him before as well, know what you mean (thumbs)

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”