Mastering hairpin bends ABR Issue 35

Bikers and riding
RTW2009

Mastering hairpin bends ABR Issue 35

Post by RTW2009 »

Two issues with this piece
1)"One of the most important things to do when travelling on twisty mountain roads is to look at the view, you may never get the chance to ride that road again." Agreed - probably because you are dead from looking the view and not the road! Park up and take in the view - not while you are riding please!

2) The most important point when tackling hairpins is completely missed. Look where you want to go not immediately in front of the front wheel which is what many novices do and wonder why they go straight on! Sometimes this means looking 90 degrees or more from the straight ahead position which feels uncomfortable to start with but once mastered is the only way to get around that bend.

Hope this helps. If you want some serious practise get out to Thailand and take the road from Mae Hong Son to Chiang Mai. Its 200 clicks and 1864 bends a good percentage of them hairpins!
Andi_Archer

Re: Mastering hairpin bends ABR Issue 35

Post by Andi_Archer »

Invariably its also target fixation that causes crashes."Oh dear I want to miss that treeeeeeeeeeee.......ERK!"
TriumphTart

Post by TriumphTart »

RTW2009 wrote:Two issues with this piece
1)"One of the most important things to do when travelling on twisty mountain roads is to look at the view, you may never get the chance to ride that road again." Agreed - probably because you are dead from looking the view and not the road! Park up and take in the view - not while you are riding please!

2) The most important point when tackling hairpins is completely missed. Look where you want to go not immediately in front of the front wheel which is what many novices do and wonder why they go straight on! Sometimes this means looking 90 degrees or more from the straight ahead position which feels uncomfortable to start with but once mastered is the only way to get around that bend.

Hope this helps. If you want some serious practise get out to Thailand and take the road from Mae Hong Son to Chiang Mai. Its 200 clicks and 1864 bends a good percentage of them hairpins!
(thumbs) I've only recently passed my bike test and I can still hear my instructor saying in my ear "head up, look at where you want to go and the bike will go with you". And it did !!
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

counter steering, right gear and be slightly aggressive and always look where you want to be at that moment

have a look on line at keith code tech for corners, got to be the best piece of written instruction out there

steve
Redsoul

Post by Redsoul »

I thought the article on hairpins was spot on especially in the Alps when it's busy.You can look where you want to go all you like but if you haven't clocked was coming down and it's the usual narrow,cambered hairpin and half way round you come face to face with another vehicle you are in trouble.
My method is while on run up to hairpin my wife on the back lets me know if clear or not before tackling it.
Think I would find it hard work going over some of the passes on my own.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Redsoul wrote: Think I would find it hard work going over some of the passes on my own.
I did, even though it was quiet, not my thing I've found out.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Lots of hairpins all over France. The trouble is that in the summer these roads are cluttered with other road users who are equally inexperienced. I've often come across a motorhome struggling to slow down enough right in the middle of the road. Cyclists are also pretty gung-ho and often all over the road.

I would say your priorities should be:

Keep your distance from traffic in front of you, look well ahead, ride your own road but keep an eye on the twats behind you.

If you are not in traffic then, assuming you're driving on the right, get to the centre of the road for right handers and the verge for left handers, nice and slow, very low gear especially if uphill the bend itself can often be the steepest part of the road. Look round the bend as far as you can. Be aware that right handers will be much tighter than left handers, watch out for wobbling cyclists, accelerate gently round the bend.

Once you're round the bend, breath a sigh of relief, glance at the view, get ready for the next bend.
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

an dont hold yer breath, relax

steve
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

wrong video posted - will try to post correct one when I find it.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
misterlaffer

Post by misterlaffer »

Redsoul wrote:I thought the article on hairpins was spot on especially in the Alps when it's busy.You can look where you want to go all you like but if you haven't clocked was coming down and it's the usual narrow,cambered hairpin and half way round you come face to face with another vehicle you are in trouble.
My method is while on run up to hairpin my wife on the back lets me know if clear or not before tackling it.
Think I would find it hard work going over some of the passes on my own.
Well, this IS good advice and I also thought the article was spot on. Why ? The coach coming down the Stelvio I met on the ascent swung right into my path to get around the hairpin. I was lining myself up and didn't notice it to my right and above my head as i was looking at the apex ahead and my flip up helmet obscured it from view, by the time I hit the apex all I could see was the front of the bus bearing down on me - missed me by a gnats whisker :whistle: never again - I always look at least a full 45 degrees or more nowadays (thumbs)

Roll on September for Swiss Alp time !

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”