CRF250L and green lanes

Bikers and riding
HarveyCamm

Re: CRF250L and green lanes

Post by HarveyCamm »

My loose list of stuff to consider buying :-

hand guards, bar risers, bash plate, engine guards, brake cyl guard, frame bobbins, camel toe, frame plugs, ram mount(s), usb power point, power socket
better seat, bigger fuel tank, luggage rack, tail pack, headlight guard, front lights, screen (maybe), trail tyres (maybe), exhaust guard, rim locks, tool carrier,
handle bar pad, spare front tube, spare rear tube, spare fuel carrier, kill switch, road book (maybe). This isn't my Christmas list this could take ages to get around - months of happy farlking

Open to all advice on "you must be joking don't ever buy a xxxxx from yyyyy" I'm new to surfaces other than tarmac :) or "why haven't you got a zzzzz on the list?".

I don't want to hijack the thread but if it helps other mud newbies then I hope it helps (thumbs)

I've attached a PDF of the parts and suppliers I've found so far - lots of options :ohmy: the PDF saves having a mahoosive list of URL's in a post and I couldn't attach a spreadsheet :lol:

Cheers
Harv
Attachments
BikeUpgrades.pdf
(37.65 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

steve, you stuck one on the back of your t5 didn't you without issues with weight

steve
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

HarveyCamm wrote:My loose list of stuff to consider buying :-

hand guards, bar risers, bash plate, engine guards, brake cyl guard, frame bobbins, camel toe, frame plugs, ram mount(s), usb power point, power socket
better seat, bigger fuel tank, luggage rack, tail pack, headlight guard, front lights, screen (maybe), trail tyres (maybe), exhaust guard, rim locks, tool carrier,
handle bar pad, spare front tube, spare rear tube, spare fuel carrier, kill switch, road book (maybe). This isn't my Christmas list this could take ages to get around - months of happy farlking

Open to all advice on "you must be joking don't ever buy a xxxxx from yyyyy" I'm new to surfaces other than tarmac :) or "why haven't you got a zzzzz on the list?".

I don't want to hijack the thread but if it helps other mud newbies then I hope it helps (thumbs)

I've attached a PDF of the parts and suppliers I've found so far - lots of options :ohmy: the PDF saves having a mahoosive list of URL's in a post and I couldn't attach a spreadsheet :lol:

Cheers
Harv
Blimey, with that lot you'vr just about rebuilt the bike and added another 25kg's to it

Might as well just have bought a KTM in the first place :whistle:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

johnnyboxer wrote:
The KLX250S comes out well in that test, having a superior of-road ride
I had a KLX and spent time with a CRF too. Both when I was a novice (still am). KLX was better off road but was too soft on road. The CRF is great off road anyway and took me on the gnarley trails I've done. It's a great bike as long as you don't want to do 100mph.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

love mine and so do 5 of my other mates we all bought them at the same timeish,it looks like a of road event when we all go out.there not the fastest and the power is a bit lacking but boy are they fun get them on the twisty roads and they can shift,when you jump of a big bike onto one of these they feel mountain bike light (140kg :( )and on the bit of green laning I have done they hold up quite well.less than a tenner in fuel for all day enjoyment.i put a new exhaust on a tail tidy hand guards and a sump guard on and took the seat strap of and chain guard.cheers tony.
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

johnnyboxer wrote: Blimey, with that lot you've just about rebuilt the bike and added another 25kg's to it

Might as well just have bought a KTM in the first place :whistle:
Yeah I know it probably doesn't need a bunch of this stuff but I was bored and the internet browser fills a few ideas and fuels a few dreams :)
I suppose the basics are bash plate, bar risers, hand guards and maybe a more comfortable seat - more likely route to comfort for a few more miles then me losing a few stone :blush:

Enjoy it as the factory made it for now :-) (thumbs)

Harv
Alphadog43

Post by Alphadog43 »

From what I have read and seen on YouTube changing the exhaust, doing an air box mod and lowering the gearing by one tooth makes a big improvement. I think half of the appeal is that you have room to develop it
special one

Post by special one »

Having ridden quite a bit with a lad who has a crf 250l, they aren't built as well as a Honda should be, he's had a lot of bits break, ignition problems etc, they have definitely been built with budget in mind.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Arthur Pint Motor

Post by Arthur Pint Motor »

I have a KLX250 and really enjoy riding it. At low speeds it's quite capable off road. The soft heavily damped suspension gives a controlled and comfortable ride. Try to follow anyone on a proper off road bike though, and you will easily get the KLX out of it's depth. The handling goes all "squishy" and flexy and the weight becomes very apparent.

I had a AJP PR5 and the handling was in a different league (although it had to go 'cos mine was a dog).

For back roads and gentle trails the KLX is great. I'm sure the Honda is also very decent.

BTW first mod to the CRF is to get a folding gear lever.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”