selling a bike that's on sorn ..buyer wants test ride ..are you liable if they get stopped/crash etc

Bikers and riding
willywombat64

selling a bike that's on sorn ..buyer wants test ride ..are you liable if they get stopped/crash etc

Post by willywombat64 »

i have 3 bikes all on sorn in the garage ...no tax/mot/insurance ( as a result of being banned)
i would like to sell one but can't think how to satisfy a buyer all is good with the bike without letting them test ride it. I understand even if they have insurance to ride other bikes , as i'm not insured it wouldn't be valid. If they understand this and still want a short test ride then get stopped by the police /have an accident/they go past a ANPR camera etc am i liable as the registered owner/keeper?. I need to be ultra careful not to get any more points etc.It seems that to sell a bike when your not insured is a possibly risky business both for you as the seller allowing a test ride or as the buyer not getting one. Is there a way round this . Any ideas apart from finding private land with enough road ( almost impossible )
thanks
Bill
Tourider

Re: selling a bike that's on sorn ..buyer wants test ride ..are you liable if they get stopped/crash etc

Post by Tourider »

You wouldn't get points, the offence would be "aiding and abetting" the person who was riding an untaxed vehicle. Their insurance would cover them riding the bike, you do not need insurance.
minkyhead

Re: selling a bike that's on sorn ..buyer wants test ride ..are you liable if they get stopped/crash etc

Post by minkyhead »

you would be liable under the aiding and abetting rule and so would the rider as a user

..no tax is a excise offence and doesntcarry penalty points
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
willywombat64

Post by willywombat64 »

you say the test rider's insurance would cover them but as i understand it normally most policies only cover other vehicles that are already insured by their owner.
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

The tester's insurance would probably cover them for third party only, that is the legal requirement. If they trashed the bike, tough.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Tourider wrote:The tester's insurance would probably cover them for third party only, that is the legal requirement. If they trashed the bike, tough.
If they trashed the bike,tough on the buyer because of course he has already left you with the full amount in cash as a deposit!
Is Exeter really so full of ANPR cameras that you can't go out for a 10 minute spin without being caught on one? :unsure:
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Kin ell. Just let em have a ride. A person will soon tell if it is what it was supposed to be within 1/4 of a mile. Unless it's a pure sports bike.
If you live and in an area infested with ANPR cameras then don't. I haven't seen one for months. Get the cash in your hand and let him have a test ride. Relax and enjoy life. A normal copper Would understand what is what is etc and leave it at that, as long as your not taking the piss, bit like taking a bike for MOT. Or am I being synical?
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

The 3rd party only rule for riding/driving someone else's vehicle is only valid if that vehicle is also insured by the owner I think.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
nwmschris

Post by nwmschris »

beware of test riders its the easiest way to steal a bike . leave your stolen ca and nick some persons pride and joy :evil:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

You will be giving your permission for the other person to ride your bike knowing that it's not insured.
It's what's known as "use, cause, permit"
Both of you will be summonsed to court and it'll be six points each plus fines.
Could be worse for you cos you're already banned.
And the bike will be seized and it'll be a right pain in the arse to get back.
Even if you could find someone to insure it etc, you'd still have to pay around £200 quid to get it back.
Probably not worth the aggro (thumbs)

Ade

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”