Devon's lanes....

Bikers and riding
devonuk

Re: Devon's lanes....

Post by devonuk »

Trev wrote:Not sure about Devon but here in the back lanes of deepest, darkest Dorset & Hampshire these type of roads haven't changed much since I started riding 30+ years ago and, IMO, all the better for it. I absolutely love riding them for just that reason, challenging even at low speed and hardly anyone on them. My weapon of choice is a 'modern' Royal Enfield with adventure tyres, not too powerful and low enough seat for me to easily 'exit' if need be ;) or, if I'm feeling brave, then it's the MT03 but even this I would say is overpowered and too big.

I would imagine the GSA is a bit wide, I see lots of 'fully loaded' Bimmers at my local IAM club, they seem to keep the cases on for every ride and I often wonder if it's because they're a pain to remove? Do you need to leave them on all the time as that may help a little?
Mine were on as I'm learning about the bike so I don't normally ride with them on unless they're required and they pop on and off in seconds. I've been riding since 1976 (legally) and I just don't recall the state of our back roads being so bad?
shed

Post by shed »

Are you talking about greenlaning ? Or back roads as b roads and miner roads that aren't as well kept .I live in the south hams just outside totnes ive been greenlaning in this area on and off for 20yrears so know all the lanes like the back of my hand so i know how rocky and narrow they are , so respect if you are doing them on a 1200gs with panniers!, .I ride them on a drz and even that can be a handfull with the weight on some of the rocky climbs.
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

devonuk wrote:
fatowl wrote:I don't think they've changed much - whereabouts Are you riding ?
Mostly Dartmoor and the South Hams which are particularly bad :(
I ride them a lot. As has been said, I think you have the wrong bike for this. I have just come back from 15 miles of them, and loved it. nice and quiet.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Many of our back roads are the same on this side of the Tamar. I get the feeling that the County/Parish councils are neglecting those that are used the least. No surface repairs and no hedge trimming in evidence for quite a while. I'm quite happy with the situation. Proper green lanes round here are too daunting on the Vara, so these overgrown and neglected 'surfaced' roads and the occasional farm track are the nearest I get to 'off-road'. I like the way the back wheel, with its Tourance, squirms on the greasy, grassy middle and the bars part the brambles and small branches which overhang. Its a bit of a bugger if you meet someone coming the other way, but all part of the fun.
devonuk

Post by devonuk »

shed wrote:Are you talking about greenlaning ? Or back roads as b roads and miner roads that aren't as well kept .I live in the south hams just outside totnes ive been greenlaning in this area on and off for 20yrears so know all the lanes like the back of my hand so i know how rocky and narrow they are , so respect if you are doing them on a 1200gs with panniers!, .I ride them on a drz and even that can be a handfull with the weight on some of the rocky climbs.
I wish I had the balls to take her greenlaning... I'm talking about those back roads that are narrow and white on the map and have high sides. I certainly wont be making a habit of taking the bike on these routes in the future!
devonuk

Post by devonuk »

fatowl wrote:
devonuk wrote:
fatowl wrote:I don't think they've changed much - whereabouts Are you riding ?
Mostly Dartmoor and the South Hams which are particularly bad :(
I ride them a lot. As has been said, I think you have the wrong bike for this. I have just come back from 15 miles of them, and loved it. nice and quiet.
We live and learn and I wont be venturing off the beaten track on this type of road in the future on such a beast :)
devonuk

Post by devonuk »

jackdaw wrote:Many of our back roads are the same on this side of the Tamar. I get the feeling that the County/Parish councils are neglecting those that are used the least. No surface repairs and no hedge trimming in evidence for quite a while. I'm quite happy with the situation. Proper green lanes round here are too daunting on the Vara, so these overgrown and neglected 'surfaced' roads and the occasional farm track are the nearest I get to 'off-road'. I like the way the back wheel, with its Tourance, squirms on the greasy, grassy middle and the bars part the brambles and small branches which overhang. Its a bit of a bugger if you meet someone coming the other way, but all part of the fun.
My previous bike was a Vara and the step up to the GSA has been quite a surprise. I agree that the Caradon roads aren't much better but alas the beast will have to be used on some "better" tarmac in the future.
mungey

Post by mungey »

Possibly not the ideal bike for our narrow and overgrown little green roads,but ideal for exploring the back roads.Might have to travel a bit further afield for a good days` greenlaning .My mate has an MT03 and he uses it on trails in Wales and the Peak District.
Frog

Post by Frog »

Different strokes for different folks but I love the narrow lanes covered in potholes and gravel washouts, but that may just be down to the KTM 950 I ride around on which just loves sliding around on the loose stuff, no electronics required.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”