Devon's lanes....

Bikers and riding
devonuk
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Devon's lanes....

Post by devonuk » Mon May 25, 2015 10:31 am

I'm currently running in a new GSA and have been out and about racking up the miles prior to its first service. Whilst doing so I've been absolutely amazed at how dangerous the single track lanes of my home County have become. There seems to be miles and miles of lane width which consists of 2/3 feet of clear surface 2/3 feet or so of grit/crap/stones/wood etc. in the centre followed again by 2/3 feet of clear surface. That said the clear surface often consists of broken surface/potholes.
I've found that crossing the centre "crap" to be dangerous at times and a nightmare to brake on if required. Also, when using the "safe" areas either side I'm not far off from smacking the hedges with my handlebars or side boxes!
I'd be interested to know if this is common across the UK and whether anyone has in fact complained etc.
I know my road tyres don't help but I'm just trying to be more "adventurous" before taking on some longer continental journeys. I certainly don't recall the Picos roads being so bad whilst there on my Varadero last summer.

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
fatowl
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:36 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: Devon's lanes....

Post by fatowl » Mon May 25, 2015 11:39 am

I don't think they've changed much - whereabouts Are you riding ?

MR X
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:14 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Devon's lanes....

Post by MR X » Mon May 25, 2015 11:43 am

I think that you should stick to the motorways :ohmy: , that bike you have was not intended to go off road !!

complain :huh: :whistle:

AndyB
Posts: 8747
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Devon's lanes....

Post by AndyB » Mon May 25, 2015 11:54 am

I thought the new GSA had all sorts of electronic aids that allow you to take liberties on that kind of road? The 1190 KTM certainly does and eve though I've only done a few miles on mine I've made sure I tried it on that kind of surface and it works (thumbs)

A lot of people bitch about the electronics package on new bikes but my view is don't knock it until you've tried it and as for those that question how the rider will cope if it packs in; I worry about that happening about as much as I worry about bombs whenever I go on a tube.

willywombat64
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:16 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Devon's lanes....

Post by willywombat64 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:13 pm

I love devons back lanes for exactly the reason you're complaining about . keeps regular traffic away and means a fun ride. your bike is really too big for that kind of riding ..although it can go anywhere in the right hands . you'd enjoy it far more on a 250 imho. Seems you want an easy ride rather than one with slight challenges ? i ride anywhere in devon icluding some green lanes on a v strom! ..got an Xt600 for tougher stuff and used to run a ttr 250 for more extreme.
Bill in exeter

devonuk
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Devon's lanes....

Post by devonuk » Mon May 25, 2015 2:09 pm

fatowl wrote:I don't think they've changed much - whereabouts Are you riding ?
Mostly Dartmoor and the South Hams which are particularly bad :(

devonuk
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Devon's lanes....

Post by devonuk » Mon May 25, 2015 2:12 pm

MR X wrote:I think that you should stick to the motorways :ohmy: , that bike you have was not intended to go off road !!

complain :huh: :whistle:
Its a dream on the motorway as the riding style suits me. However, it is a bit of an elephant in tight areas/lanes and is awful on the gravel :(

devonuk
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Devon's lanes....

Post by devonuk » Mon May 25, 2015 2:16 pm

AndyB wrote:I thought the new GSA had all sorts of electronic aids that allow you to take liberties on that kind of road? The 1190 KTM certainly does and eve though I've only done a few miles on mine I've made sure I tried it on that kind of surface and it works (thumbs)

A lot of people bitch about the electronics package on new bikes but my view is don't knock it until you've tried it and as for those that question how the rider will cope if it packs in; I worry about that happening about as much as I worry about bombs whenever I go on a tube.
I bought the bike as it suits me and can carry my wife and a lot of kit very easily.... However, its not that great on gravel surfaces or grass which of course is mostly down to the tyres. I guess the point of my post was the poor state of our country lanes in relation to motor cycle safety.

devonuk
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Devon's lanes....

Post by devonuk » Mon May 25, 2015 2:22 pm

willywombat64 wrote:I love devons back lanes for exactly the reason you're complaining about . keeps regular traffic away and means a fun ride. your bike is really too big for that kind of riding ..although it can go anywhere in the right hands . you'd enjoy it far more on a 250 imho. Seems you want an easy ride rather than one with slight challenges ? i ride anywhere in devon icluding some green lanes on a v strom! ..got an Xt600 for tougher stuff and used to run a ttr 250 for more extreme.
Bill in exeter
I wouldn't normally need to do the lanes but I've been experimenting on the bike whilst running it in. What I have learnt is exactly what you said.... It's a bitch in such conditions and whilst in the NT car park at Bolberry Head she nearly went over in the gravel :(
I certainly don't want to be throwing my relatively expensive steed around if I can help it ;) I once had a GS650 and it was great in the lanes but from memory I certainly don't remember them being so full of crap and so dangerous?

Trev
Posts: 971
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:52 am
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Devon's lanes....

Post by Trev » Mon May 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Not sure about Devon but here in the back lanes of deepest, darkest Dorset & Hampshire these type of roads haven't changed much since I started riding 30+ years ago and, IMO, all the better for it. I absolutely love riding them for just that reason, challenging even at low speed and hardly anyone on them. My weapon of choice is a 'modern' Royal Enfield with adventure tyres, not too powerful and low enough seat for me to easily 'exit' if need be ;) or, if I'm feeling brave, then it's the MT03 but even this I would say is overpowered and too big.

I would imagine the GSA is a bit wide, I see lots of 'fully loaded' Bimmers at my local IAM club, they seem to keep the cases on for every ride and I often wonder if it's because they're a pain to remove? Do you need to leave them on all the time as that may help a little?

Post Reply

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 100 guests