last ride for a long while route help please from bristol into wales

Bikers and riding
willywombat64

last ride for a long while route help please from bristol into wales

Post by willywombat64 »

due to ill health i'm not going to be able to ride for a year or 2 so thought i'd ask about a nice route into south wales and back to bristol. I'm actually coming up from exeter and can stay this coming sunday night in wales . Nothing too extreme prefer to be away from traffic ..no hero stuff needed just a pleasant days ride out ..the less people /cars the better. Any recommendations /routes /b+b's would be much appreciated . I'll be on a 650 vstom so roughish tracks no problem
thanks
Bill
Capt. Sensible

Re: last ride for a long while route help please from bristol into wales

Post by Capt. Sensible »

Hello Bill,

There some cracking little roads in South and mid Wales. Some of my favourites:

B4293 from Chepstow to Monmouth, via Devauden

B4233 north from Monmouth to Abergavenny

B4235/4598 north-west from Chepstow to Abergavenny via Usk

B4558 west from Llangattock, turning left at Talybont to tkae the minor road over past the reservoirs and coming out at the A470 roundabout near Merthyr. The stretch north from there on the 470 is pretty good.

From Brecon, the B4520 through Lower Chapel and across the Sennybridge ranges to Garth. The road across the Cambrians Beulah - Abergwesyn - to Tregaron is splendid but perhaps not for the faint-hearted.

Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy it!

CS
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Epynt Ranges, off the A40 just after Trecastle is a great place to ride, hardly any traffic . Good café to stop at Sennybridge Services
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Capt. Sensible wrote:Hello Bill,

There some cracking little roads in South and mid Wales. Some of my favourites:

B4293 from Chepstow to Monmouth, via Devauden

B4233 north from Monmouth to Abergavenny

B4235/4598 north-west from Chepstow to Abergavenny via Usk

CS
Must agree with the above. Rode most of it today in glorious sunshine, stopping at Abergavenny bus station for coffee and lunch in Chepstow. However, rather than taking the B4235 from Chepstow to Usk, my favourite, and even less traffic, is the Usk Road past the Wentwood Reservoir. Basically take the A48 out of Chepstow and turn right just after Caerwent. Comes out in Maryport Road in Usk, then pick up the 4598 to Abergavenny as above. You won't be disappointed.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”