Off roading - help

Bikers and riding
IntruderWithin

Off roading - help

Post by IntruderWithin »

Hi all. Had the GS for 12 months now and really enjoy the beast. Taken it to Europe, done 2 x adventure days with the TVAM group but would like to know more about the bikes capabilites when going off road? such as when to stand, how to stand? ABS on or off? lines to follow, also what courses would be better the BMW at 400GBP or Yamaha at half the price? Just also managed to get a Hynes book - Adventure Riding for about 13GBP from Amazon as suggested by one member. The guys at the TVAM also suggested that maybe we get someone with experiance to come a give us a briefing one night as the adventure group is growing and I'm sure many other people would also benefit from a briefing.

Thanks

Daren
At times of peace, plan for war.
AckAckFlack

Re: Off roading - help

Post by AckAckFlack »

Welcome welcome welcome
Is TVAM. The advance group of the Thames Valley?
If so then I agree that there isn't a section in Road raft for off road

While a talk on how to offroad would bs helpful the best way would be to get out there and try it.

There is quite a bit of vids on YouTube to look at and there was a thread not too long ago on this subject.
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Yeah just have a go and see what happens!

I've had my Vara about 5 weeks now and have been 'off road' about 4-5 times.
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
The Wilbur

Post by The Wilbur »

Two things to suggest:-

1. Legality, contact your local TRF regarding where to ride legally.

2. Company, do not even think about "off road" by yourself, especially on a big lump of a GS that could trap you for days on a quiet section.

Having said that, enjoy :lol:
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I agree with Jelly and Wilbur: just get out there and do it but not on your own and contact the TRF group to get ideas of where to go.

My only previous experience of off-roading was through the woods near my house 25 years ago... once!

I bought a brand new Tiger 800XC in March and have taken it off-road a couple of times now. First time out was fun: nothing too serious, just a bit of gentle riding with a couple of mates. Second time out was a bit more serious: 18 bikes = loads of bravado resulting in me dropping it twice and fracturing a bone in my foot... and the bike was only 5 weeks old! :whistle: :pinch: Luckily it came out with just a scuff on the mirror and brush guard.

You'll never know how much fun it can be untli you're lying under your bike with a load of people crowded around you laughing! :woohoo:
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

If you want to learn the basics/foundation of machine control/riding off road you can't do any better than this guy. Get the basics right to start with and it will make it so much easier in the future. It might be some distance from you but worth the travel and cash. :)
www.i2imca.com
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Get out there and have a go. People say dont go alone......I do sometimes. Had a few adventures along the way. Just be careful and if its your first time down a track walk it first. Theres nothing worse than it suddenly getting difficult and having no where to turn round to escape. Make sure you have supplies on the bike, and I always carry a whistle. Never know when you may need it if you do get trapped. And plenty of fluids.

I was in North Wales and took a wrong turning and ended up on top of a mountain. Not just that, but I got the bike stuck in the mud. Even with the shovel I carry I wasnt able to free the bike. After 2 hours of digging I had no option but to abandon the bike and walk 6 miles to the nearest village to get rescued. All fun though.Took 4 of us to heave the bike out of the mud the following day. I now carry a winch when going solo. Not sure what Id do with it - but its handy having the leverage of the wire if ever needed.
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

Just practice, start slow and on easy surface to learn your bike's and your limits. I usually end up going alone (99%) and its fine if you have your phone with you and tell someone where you're going. Of course, I always make sure I ride a bike I can pick up easily, no fun being stuck in the middle of nowhere on your own with 1/4 tonne of metal the wrong way up.
Kev P

Post by Kev P »

The Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVD is well worth a watch. Covers all the basics.

Kev

www.toddington2timbuktu.co.uk
KevP

www.toddington2timbuktu.co.uk

"smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast"
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

ive got mixed thoughts on this myself ive seen first hand some of the big gses being ridden in pretty tough terrain and doing really well in confident hands on the flip side ive seen some really nasty offs due to the size and weight and a relitive lack of expieriance ... and not just on gses its not clear from the post how much off road expieriance you have ..if its limited my thoughts would be to try a off road day on a smaller bike to get used to the feeling of movement .....and get some refrence points of whats doable and what isnt or as has been suggeted trying things out on easier terrain .. if you are to encounter muddy or wet grass conditions its imperitive you shed the beast with suitable tyres ..particurlarly the front .. generally trying to keep momentum is important for balence ..once under a slow jogging pace the weight will begin to conspire with a high centre of gravity and work againt you .. .. standing on the pegs is desirable ..its a real good idea to fit raisers if required so you have a nice posture without having to bend you legs and back to much to achieve it ..but if you come to a slippy looking section but at on level ground at time of uncertain traction sitting down may be better certainly to start with as if the wheels slip when standing it will be hard to stop and hurt a bit i reacon if you asked a t the yamaha place to try a 250 or 450 in the morning and one of the xt 660s in the afternoon it would be a decent plan .. even the 660 is a big old bus so you would have a graded builded up to riding the adventure here a old video of the yamaha off road expiriance .. bear in mind they grade the days on bikes and expieriance but it gives you a idea of the terrain on offer ..
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”