wonderfull HUBB weekend with an annoying end

Bikers and riding
Old Git Ray

Re: wonderfull HUBB weekend with an annoying end

Post by Old Git Ray »

Mike101 wrote:...........

The site was good apart from the planes but they can't help that. Ditto...PITA
The music was good on the Saturday night. ... and Friday (thumbs)
The welcome when i arrived was very good and all staff were very helpful. Thanks, I'll make sure that gets passed on.
The fire pits were a nice touch. That was Danny's idea. We were not allowed a bonfire at this site.

What i didn't like was..

The pub was the only place to get food. I am veggie so i had one option only. I had expected more choice that that. Gotta agree. It was a bit limited.
The bar shut at 11pm.....what is that about. The outside bar shut but the inside one remained open, not sure what time till though - I bailed not long after that.
The man serving at the real ale bar was rude. I asked for a tiny sample of one beer to see of i liked it and i was told.."This is a bar and not a tasting session. You will have to buy something"..Not on and very rude. If he was around 60 with long hair it was likely the venue owner - A bit beyond our control. :huh:
The music started at 10.30 on Saturday night...a bit late. I think (not 100% sure) that they were mates doing favours :dry:

Mike
Mike101 wrote:Just remembered..whats with the name badges?

The letters were so small that if you wanted to read on you had to go so close the whole personal space thing would crop up.

Did anybody actually read what people had written on theirs?

Did anybody look at a name badge on a lady without getting a slap in the face?

On mine i put "Ask me about how to get a sore arse"..nobosy did ask me.

Mike
Good point. I thought that too. I'll pass that on too. Still, shame nobody was interested in my chest.
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

Mike101 wrote:I found a lot of people there who's drving force was "look at the size of my passport and how many countries i've been to".
Never understood these guys who plaster stickers over their luggage. Bit like some of the people on Internet forums who have long lists in their signatures of all the bikes they once owned.

Good point about the name badges. The person's name needed to be in 20 point bold.

I find the inclusion of 4x4 owners a useful extension of the meet. I have to say that as I drove up in our Disco. :)
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
Elle

Post by Elle »

On Thursday, myself and a few others were asked to leave the bar at 1.30am so it's a bit weird they closed at 11pm on a Saturday night.

The music was scheduled to start around 11pm - the same as previous years as presentations end then. The music was great, I crawled into bed at 3am on both nights :whistle:
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Don't get me wrong folks as i did have a good time. The event is just not my thing but i wouldn't stop anybody going.

Doing to job i do i find thaty if nobody tells you something isn't quite right then you don't know so can't fix it.

I came away with one slight problem..i have a real urge to get a sidecar and take my dog everywhere.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
yoda

Post by yoda »

Sounds like a good event, i haven't managed to get to the HUuk meeting since 2008 for various reasons..must try harder next year.
Chaos is the only camouflage that incompetence needs to operate at full capacity.

I dunno where that road goes, might as well go take a look anyway there's no where else i need to be right now.
Old Geezer

Post by Old Geezer »

scouse wrote:Well... all I can say is you meet who you are ;) I enjoyed the late late bar, got tasters of all the beers I tried,had fun at the Roadkill cookout, as it's just that teaching people by having fun... met loads of folk to talk too. Smiley folk everywhere - talked some bollocks till the wee small hours over far too many beers and helped people to suddenly see that riding through areas they couldn't go because of no tarmac, is achievable with some simple skills

And will pass on the news that yet another successful "student" has managed a bike pick up... :) That part of my weekend even carried on into the wee small hours after showing the owner how to do it after his GS fell off it's center-stand on the camping field, narrowly missing their tent.

Yes there are some snobs who have to have gone further , travelled harder or just done "more" in their eyes than mere mortals, and the inevitable "I am more important" than you brigade. But on the whole most folk go there to share a mutual love of travel and finding adventure using what the bulk of society see as inappropriate machinery to do it :D
Scouse nice to have met you good crack.

Elle nice to meet you and did enjoy your presentation. Made me even more keen to get myself down to NZ. Loved the trails think even I would be able to enjoy them and may get me onto 'off road' though more the gravel tracks than rocky steps.

Food, yes could have been better, shortages of veg even for us meat eaters.

Bars no problem though son was not happy :whistle: with cider prices.

This was my first time and I enjoyed it. You do need the 4 days though as there is a lot to see and lots of presentations that clash but are repeated on another day so you can catch them.

It is "An Overland Meet" and for me it was good to see how others travel using other vehicles.

I travelled up from Folkestone in VW Camper with bike in back and made time to get out on my bike around local roads. Wish we had the clear empty twisty roads in Kent that I found just turning right outside venue.

Only downside for me was it took 3hrs to get 2.5 miles from M1 J22 and 2 hrs to get to J22. Still that's British motorways for you.

Good 4 days. Looking to call in at Mini HUBB in France now in September :woohoo: (thumbs)
Gary117

Post by Gary117 »

Fantastic event,can't wait until next year :)
2011 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
Roy C.

Post by Roy C. »

Well I enjoyed it though would have preferred not to have the shouting and swearing going on at 2 30 Sunday morning at the lower end of the main campsite, one sniff of the Barmaids apron as they say.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Tim Cullis wrote:Never understood these guys who plaster stickers over their luggage.
I like it, a) because I am a gobby show off :whistle: and b) because it's a good conversation starter in non ADV / ABR environments.
Tim Cullis wrote:I find the inclusion of 4x4 owners a useful extension of the meet. I have to say that as I drove up in our Disco. :)
Me too, I came in my roof tented Defender in 2012.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Roy C. wrote:Well I enjoyed it though would have preferred not to have the shouting and swearing going on at 2 30 Sunday morning at the lower end of the main campsite, one sniff of the Barmaids apron as they say.
There was a 'quiet campsite' at the far end of the farm just for that purpose. Sadly we forgot to mention it to East Midlands Airport. :blink:

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”