wonderfull HUBB weekend with an annoying end

Bikers and riding
sexysi

Re: wonderfull HUBB weekend with an annoying end

Post by sexysi »

Mike we can have a chat about Norway on the Salisbury plain meet, and we can discuss how we skin carrots and all types of root vegetables. Never really appealed to me, the Hubb, I just rather plan and get inspired by reading this forum. TBH.

After all do I really need a load of people telling me it is amazing riding off into the wild, I know that already. ;-)

Si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Great weekend made even better by the weather; great to meet some new faces, I even had a drink or two (and not Darjeeling for a change!)

Being under the East Mids Airport flight path was a pain, I was in the 'No Talking' quiet campsite as I enjoy my early nights, I had to laugh- you couldn't even shout to make yourself heard about the noise of the planes a few hundred feet overhead!

Agree with the comment about the 'sticker collectors-"look where I've been", still, each to their own I suppose. Whilst there were people there with deep pockets and a limitless credit card, there were the ones from the other end of the spectrum ie the dear chap who is going around the world in memory of his wife; I loved the sign next to his cheap as chips CB500: "TOURATAC" RTW Total cost £22.50, white plastic freezer trays etc, you get my drift.

Sam Manicon was as busy as a blue -arsed fly keeping on top of everything so that we all had a good time. Well done and thank you to all the hard-working volunteers, your efforts were very much appreciated.

I enjoyed meeting the authors whose books have inspired me so much, Graham Field etc you are the salt of the earth.

What a great event-no complaints :)
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Mike101 wrote:Well i also went to the HUBB and i'm not sure its for me.

While i admire a lot of these people i found a lot of snobbery with the land rover brigade.

Mike
There was a Land Rover with an ABR sticker on the back - it was mine :P . As with all things factions disagree about everything - Defender drivers sometimes don't look on Disco drivers as equals cos of our 'lesser' vehicles (insert Two Ronnies and John Cleese sketch here) but I don't care - hell Disco drivers won't even wave at each other, must be another schism - "oh no that's a Disco 2 - inferior to my Disco 3", god I've started blathering.

I'm glad you enjoyed some of it - the road kill thing was a bit pointless and wasteful, I'm sure 99% of it went in the bin as it wasn't fit for consumption having been frozen whole since January.

To me travel is travel and I try to fit the means to the needs, if I'm going on my own then the bike fits the bill, but if the kids are involved then car it is until I can train 'em up like the White Helmets display team.

Cheers
Harv
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Just remembered..whats with the name badges?

The letters were so small that if you wanted to read on you had to go so close the whole personal space thing would crop up.

Did anybody actually read what people had written on theirs?

Did anybody look at a name badge on a lady without getting a slap in the face?

On mine i put "Ask me about how to get a sore arse"..nobosy did ask me.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Sand Rover

Post by Sand Rover »

well i thought it was one of the best travel events i have ever been to.... got talking to loads of nice people, all the landy people were great, i do have land Rovers so always something to chat about, we spent more time in the capsite than we did anywhere... never went to the road kill as they dont have anything we are interested in...went to some talks bought some beers all good

The bands were great the people running it done a smashing job... 700 mile round trip would i go again ..... try stopping me (thumbs)
Elle

Post by Elle »

to akceller8 - really pleased you enjoyed the weekend, shame about the drop once you got home but at least it wasn't yourself :)
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
Elle

Post by Elle »

to mike101 - nice to see ya; sad to hear you felt it wasn't your thing.

- the pub food isn't great but the event is held on a camp site, it's not a "show". I guess they don't permit outside catering (with the exception of the small shop). Many cafes and restaurants offer limited vegetarian options. But nothing stopping anyone from cooking their own food.

- I like the name badges & it's not compulsory to wear one!

This was my 4th year and I've met some great people over those years - friends I keep in touch with, share stories with but who appreciate our differences. Yes, I've met some snobby folk - I've seen the sneers from folk when I say I have no plans for a "big trip" & folk who blatantly ignore me or interrupt conversations without a passing glance or apology. Feel sorry for them - it must be awful to be so superior to others :P

I could say exactly the same thing about bike clubs, bike forums, people at work and people in the street. It's just life ;)
Elle

Post by Elle »

Sand Rover wrote:got talking to loads of nice people
Who are you? :P
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Elle, enjoyed your NZ presentation well done !

Ambitiously I went to the 'IT on the move' presentation, perhaps that should have been over-ambitiously, because most of it went right over my head. Duh!
scouse

Post by scouse »

Well... all I can say is you meet who you are ;) I enjoyed the late late bar, got tasters of all the beers I tried,had fun at the Roadkill cookout, as it's just that teaching people by having fun... met loads of folk to talk too. Smiley folk everywhere - talked some bollocks till the wee small hours over far too many beers and helped people to suddenly see that riding through areas they couldn't go because of no tarmac, is achievable with some simple skills

And will pass on the news that yet another successful "student" has managed a bike pick up... :) That part of my weekend even carried on into the wee small hours after showing the owner how to do it after his GS fell off it's center-stand on the camping field, narrowly missing their tent.

Yes there are some snobs who have to have gone further , travelled harder or just done "more" in their eyes than mere mortals, and the inevitable "I am more important" than you brigade. But on the whole most folk go there to share a mutual love of travel and finding adventure using what the bulk of society see as inappropriate machinery to do it :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”