What makes an Adventure Bike Rider??

Bikers and riding
JockC

What makes an Adventure Bike Rider??

Post by JockC »

Just got my latest issue and what a great read it is. My wife got me a subscription for my birthday and so far I’ve read them all from cover to cover, I’ve loved reading about guys motorcycling in the back of beyond, dodging potholes the size of the Isle of Arran, living under the stars and eating bugs and it got me to thinking. What makes an adventure motorcyclist?

I’m not exactly the type that fits the bill of the rugged, slim, tall stereo type being more of a portly, 52 year old, short legged, guzzi riding, computer geek. I’m not even tall enough to fit a ‘proper’ adventure bike. To all intensive purposes then I’m the last person who you would think of as a bit of an adventurer so why is it that I’m a map freak and I use any excuse to put extra miles on the bike. I’ll never be the cross country GS RTW type but I figure adventure is where you find it but you have to go looking and I’ll never stop doing that.
Whats around the next corner?
Mark1961

Re: What makes an Adventure Bike Rider??

Post by Mark1961 »

I'm ex-forces so love the outdoors. Military camping is not the same as civvi camping but the feeling of go anywhere and being self sufficient is.

I do it in both 4x4 and motorcycle.

I'm nearly 50, 16 stone and not as fit as I used to be so do I fit the bill? who cares....

All I know is you only have one life so enjoy it to the full No matter how big, small, fat, thin, young or old you are.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
JockC

Post by JockC »

Ex RA/RMP myself ..... Ah them were the days when I has a 32' waist and a 44' chest now its the other way around :laugh: :laugh:
Whats around the next corner?
bunker

Post by bunker »

Someone (don't remember who) said the only thing that mattered was the stuff between the ears, and i'm inclined to agree thats its all about the attitude.

B)
Triumph Tiger 885
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

.....it's what goes on in your head that makes you an Adventure Bike Rider. It's not about how far, how long, how difficult or how dangerous the trip but just the fact that you get a buzz from it....and that's different for everyone ;)
Orlando_Orange

Post by Orlando_Orange »

you have a Bike. you Ride it. you have Adventures

you're an Adventure Bike Rider...

simples....

B)
Chris

G650 X-Challenge

'91 XTZ750
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Are we now categorising ourselves? :blink: I have made several 'adventurous' jaunts around the UK and into Europe on the most unlikely motorcycles: 21 UK counties on a GS450, Lincoln to Faro, Portugal and back on a GL500 (CX in drag) and several trips up to 3,500 miles around Europe in T595 and 955i Daytonas. Does this make me an 'Adventure Bike Rider'? To me, no, but to my mate who's never been more than 150 miles on a bike, yes. :huh:

I now have a Tiger 800XC which is kept in the pigeon hole marked: Adventure Bikes. Does this now make me an adventure bike rider? Still the answer for me is no. As for my mate, he bought one too and is off to France (twice) on it this year, so yes! Oi, you at the back... wake up! :whistle:

I'm currently planning a journey that is an adventure: UK to HK. Once I start that, then I suppose I may resign myself to being labelled an Adventure Bike Rider. Until then I have always been a biker, nothing more and nothing less. I like and will ride all kinds of bikes from classics through to sports bikes and from choppers through to trail bikes.

I am not a number... I am a free man! :woohoo:
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

Me and a mate went out with 2 sisters from Peckham, South London in our youth. Used to travel across London two-up on his dad's C90 to see them coz' I'd crashed my Suzuki GT250 (in Candy Gold with RAM-Air donchaknow!) and he'd 'broken not only his own Yamaha RD250 but also his brother's CB500Four on the Shepards Bush roundabout......now that's what I call an Adventure Biker!! :P
Alun

Post by Alun »

If you think you're on an adventure then you are.

It's only the degree of difficulty, distance travelled and the time involved in doing it that's variable.
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Lairyskippy wrote:Me and a mate went out with 2 sisters from Peckham, South London in our youth. Used to travel across London two-up on his dad's C90 to see them coz' I'd crashed my Suzuki GT250 (in Candy Gold with RAM-Air donchaknow!) and he'd 'broken not only his own Yamaha RD250 but also his brother's CB500Four on the Shepards Bush roundabout......now that's what I call an Adventure Biker!! :P
No, that is not an adventure, it's only classified as an adventure if the girls were from Milwall, :lol:
What part of London were you from by the way?, I waz from the meen streetz of Chizik innit?
and around the same time as you judging by the bike references.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”