If It Ain't A Harley...

Bikers and riding
utaka

Re: If It Ain't A Harley...

Post by utaka » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:54 pm

Richard Simpson wrote:
Tourider wrote:So the only reason people stick with Harleys is so that they don't have to buy a new T-shirt? I think that Multistrada has had an electrical malfunction that's affected your brain. ;)
There was quite a funny quote from the marketing manager of Indian where he said he accepted it was difficult to win converts to a 'new' make when the target market had tattoos of the logo of the established rival make!

Yes, I like that one! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:59 pm

A Topic on Harley Davidsons on a Adventure bike site gets more views than most topics .

Just goes to show me that your all Closet Harley Davidson Fans (thumbs)

devon john

Post by devon john » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:50 pm

i am an Rospa observer and i take out most types of riders and bikes.
i am normaly on the Harley the old saying all the gear and no idea

i love to see there faces when they have to go out with me!!
a bloody tractor well its suprised a few if rode properly how well the old harley chuggs along .
the old saying its the rider not the machine

i love all bikes but i ride a harley

john as i sead MARMITE

OB1

Post by OB1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:27 pm

WOW! :woohoo: I never expected this to explode like it has! I posted the article just to poke fun at the xenophobic 'Murican rather than to create such a heated debate over Harley-Davidsons!

It seems that all anyone has to do on this forum is mention a certain motorcycle marque, sit back and watch the hate come rolling in! Be it a "fat, overblown BMW" to a "look at it and it'll explode CCM", not forgetting that Triumph copied BMW... who copied Suzuki... Anyone wanting guidance on which bike to buy would probably give up after reading most of the threads on here! :blink:

By the way, I have owned a Harley-Davidson, a 1989 883 Sportster, which I did my first long distance, out of the UK trip to Germany on. It was a great little bike and I would happily buy one again... one day... maybe! :whistle:

HD do what they do and the people that buy the bikes seem to like what they do. Bull earlier mentioned that the Africa Twin was "probably one of the best bikes ever built" and that, if Honda still made them, they would be "would be selling like hot cakes": this is obviously what HD latched on to, especially in their home market. If Honda still made the AT would they not get tarred with the same brush as HD?
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

badsanta

Post by badsanta » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:07 pm

All motorcycling hype/legend/folklore/tradition/heritage/soul, was created in the marketing department by men and women in business suits that usually, but not always, don't actually ride motorcycles, but sell big toys to big boys and girls no matter what the marque. People are spending fortunes because they think it will somehow make them look cool,which is the aim of the marketing department. A 200cc bike will do anything a 1000cc or 2000cc bike will do and be way more fun. A friend of mine recently did a trip from Alaska to Ushuia on a Kawasaki KLR650 and met a girl doing the same trip. She was doing it on a ONE-WHEELED BICYCLE. Cool. http://stanontheroad.files.wordpress.co ... 303-234027.

badsanta

Post by badsanta » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:13 pm

bull wrote:
badsanta wrote: The reason the Africa Twin,and it is a great bike, was dropped from the Honda range was due to falling sales and meeting the new emissions regs. Same reason Ducati don't make the iconic 916 anymore and same for all the other great machines that are now discontinued. " Everything passes and everything changes"

there you go, in away that's the point I have been trying to make, the Africa twin 750 was a great bike,

infact you be lucky to find a bike as good as it today,

in 10 years time, people will say that the bikes of the 1990s were old tech and noting but a load of trouble, some people are probably even saying that today,

but some great bikes came out of the 1990s and the 1980s and 1970s etc, you know the Africa twin 650 came out in the 1980s, also a great bike.

as I said before, just because something is new and high tech, doesn't mean its better,
Africa Twin isn't Ol'Skool,which is where this all started.

Tourider

Post by Tourider » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Uni-cycles are sh*t! :P :P :P

badsanta

Post by badsanta » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:50 pm

Tourider wrote:Uni-cycles are sh*t! :P :P :P
Yeah but compared to some huge piece of sh*t motorcyle it is such a cool way to travel. Wish I had the courage.

Sprockette

Post by Sprockette » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:20 pm

bull

Post by bull » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:49 pm

badsanta wrote: Africa Twin isn't Ol'Skool,which is where this all started.

is that it, is that the best you can come up with, you are really clutching at straws now, so you are.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”