If It Ain't A Harley...

Bikers and riding
badsanta

Re: If It Ain't A Harley...

Post by badsanta »

bull wrote:
badsanta wrote: Africa Twin isn't Ol'Skool,which is where this all started.

is that it, is that the best you can come up with, you are really clutching at straws now, so you are.
I agreed that the Africa Twin was a great bike but it is not ol' skool. It has modern electronics, cv carbs,3 valve sohc heads pro-link rear suspension etc, and it all works, all day, everyday for as long as you service it,for hundreds of thousands of miles. But it is not an ol'skool motorcycle.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I'm not sure where ol' skool really starts and ends but to me you've got to have points and timing that need adjusting, drum brakes, twin shocks with spring adjustment only, push rod valve operation and a separate oil tank. In an ideal World we'd be talking pre-unit gear box with a maximum of 4 gears and 6v electrics but maybe I'm stretching the limits a bit.

I'm probably in denial about my age but I don't think anything available new when I started riding bikes in 1975 is really old when it comes to technology because by that time major developments were an annual event. DOHC engines had been around a while as had electronic ignition, CV carbs and disc brakes.

The first bike that I could honestly claim to know every single problem likely to occur that short of an engine strip I could fix at the side of the road with no problems was a 1972 XS2 650 Yamaha and even that was essentially a BSA 650 with an OHC engine and modern carbs.
badsanta

Post by badsanta »

In my very humble opinion re: Ol' Skool.
I remember the launch of the Honda 750 Four KO and I reckon that any bike made before that were Ol'Skool as the Honda turned every other bike ever made,regardless of Marque or origin, to a pile of scrap/s**t etc.Anything after that is modern, as every other manufacturer that managed to survive that era copied Honda's engineering.
utaka

Post by utaka »

badsanta wrote:In my very humble opinion re: Ol' Skool.
I remember the launch of the Honda 750 Four KO and I reckon that any bike made before that were Ol'Skool as the Honda turned every other bike ever made,regardless of Marque or origin, to a pile of scrap/s**t etc.Anything after that is modern, as every other manufacturer that managed to survive that era copied Honda's engineering.

I am not sure if you know what you are talking about, next you will be trying to tell us is that Honda invented the wheel.
bull

Post by bull »

badsanta wrote:
bull wrote:

is that it, is that the best you can come up with, you are really clutching at straws now, so you are.
I agreed that the Africa Twin was a great bike but it is not ol' skool. It has modern electronics, cv carbs,3 valve sohc heads pro-link rear suspension etc, and it all works, all day, everyday for as long as you service it,for hundreds of thousands of miles. But it is not an ol'skool motorcycle.

I never said that the Africa twin 750 was an old school bike, show me where I said that

I was using the XRV 750 as an example of some of the great bikes of the 90s, that's all

heres an idea, how about you read what I said again and this time try using both eyes
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

utaka wrote:

I am not sure if you know what you are talking about, next you will be trying to tell us is that Honda invented the wheel.
Honda gave us Comstar wheels, enclosed discs that didn't work, chocolate camshafts, camchain tensioners that didn't and the FT500. They should be closed down for those crimes alone.

I don't buy Hondas and I won't start buying Hondas of any description :)
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

My understanding of the Japanese arms race of the era was that Honda and Kawasaki were about to launch their bikes at approximatly the same time.
Honda beat them to the punch with their 750, however the Z750 was going to be Kawasakis entry into the IL4, so rather than have Honda publicly steel thier thunder, Kawasaki went back and made the legendary Z900 by boring and stroking their already developed twin cam IL4.
So to say that every bike made prior was turned into a pile of scrap isn't strictly acurate.
Even if the launch dates were out by months or a year, engines were / are not developed and brought to market in a matter of weeks.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
badsanta

Post by badsanta »

utaka wrote:

Of course Honda didn't invent the wheel.They just used it in brilliant, affordable,reliable piece of assembly engineering to give us the best motorcycle of its era, and any era before that. For example an iron engined sportster was double the price new at the time,as were most BMW machines. It was the first big motorcycle that we could be confident would get us to and from our destination. Sure Honda made big mistakes along the way as did all manufacturers. At the time motorcycling was dying from lack of investment, ancient design and quality control.Soichiro Honda brought it to life again with ubiquitous Honda Cub and got people back on to bikes. I would say that a large proportion of todays over 50's started their motorcycling life on one. Yes I do ride bikes other than and as well as Honda.
badsanta

Post by badsanta »

AndyB wrote:
utaka wrote:

Honda gave us Comstar wheels, enclosed discs that didn't work, chocolate camshafts, camchain tensioners that didn't and the FT500. They should be closed down for those crimes alone.

I don't buy Hondas and I won't start buying Hondas of any description :)
That's a pity as you are missing some freat rides. Should be BMW be closed for the alloy wheels that cracked, Harley for those sporty gearboxes that didn't, Lucas for the electrics . the list of mistakes,recalls etc. is endless
badsanta

Post by badsanta »

bull wrote:
badsanta wrote:
bull wrote:

I never said that the Africa twin 750 was an old school bike, show me where I said that

I was using the XRV 750 as an example of some of the great bikes of the 90s, that's all

heres an idea, how about you read what I said again and this time try using both eyes
Our little discussion was about the merits or not of ol'skool bikes and what is an ol'skool bike. You used the Africa Twin as an example for the younger forum members.Yes you are correct about both eyes and I am actually,(no not making this up) blind in one eye. Yes true.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”