Total Motorcycle Immersion

Bikers and riding
judge148

Total Motorcycle Immersion

Post by judge148 »

Well I've rode bikes for years but I've also always had a car, which if I'm honest has had more use than the bike. After some deliberation I've decided on a policy of 'Total Motorcycle Immersion' or TMI.

All you have to do is sell your car and use your bike to travel around on everywhere you go. I'm not quite there yet but the cars on eBay so not long now.

There must be lots of people out there who have embraced the 'TMI' way of life, and others who are thinking of it. Or is it just me?
ChasF

Re: Total Motorcycle Immersion

Post by ChasF »

I was 'bike only' for several years when I lived in the UK. Here in France I make my living using heavy, bulky tools so have always had vans as well.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

since i bought my tenere i've hardly used the car. can't sell it cos i need it to go racing. also using the bike in snow isn't really an option. really enjoying using the bike to get to work now. only problem is when i get on my race bike (ktm450) it feels really strange.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Bushman_uk

Post by Bushman_uk »

I do have a car, not used it for 3 years now, just sits on the drive a merc 180 !!!
But i do cheat i need a van for work so that gets all the abuse, use that for dads taxi service and nipping to the shops.
I'm just to lazy to wheel the bike out, after going through all the locks and alarms and doning all my gear be quicker as the white van man !!
scouse

Post by scouse »

Never taken a car test, owned a car or driven one on a road since 1981... okay the other half drives but usually we will use the bikes.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
James691

Post by James691 »

It must make going around the safafi park very interesting! :woohoo:
Dancing in the moonlight
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

I dont think my kids would like it that much. :laugh: :laugh:
Vindaloo

Post by Vindaloo »

If I ditched the car(s) completely I would just have the two problems as I see it:

1) School run would be tricky (I live in the country)
2) More importantly ... how would I get my wife to drive me home from the pub?
Mark Young

Post by Mark Young »

I am not sure it is practical on all levels but it’s certainly possible to reach 90%.

At the moment I use a Land Rover 90 between December and February cause I don’t like the ice very much. The cold is not a problem but the only solution for our roads is a Side Car. One day when the old girl is no longer passing the M.O.T I may just buy a Ural or something similar that not only will take me to work in the winter, but to the Elephant and maybe even the Krystall Rally. The thing is the 90 does less than 2000 miles a year so it never gets the chance to break and could last forever at this rate, or until the oil reaches $150 in 5 years (you bet it will!) The rest of the time I use a bike for commuting the mammoth 10mins each way to work anyway unless it is mid-summer when I sometimes cycle through the weald lanes to enjoy the morning ambience.

If we can accept that Emma can keep her car for both our benefits.. Gym, Shopping then I am almost there already!
When we go shopping we take Emma’s car because it’s easy to throw stuff in the boot.
When we go to the gym we take Emma’s car because I am buggered if I want to put leathers on after a workout.
When we take the folks out etc.
I think the closest I can get is one car between us and at least 2 bikes for me B)

I think in fact that there will be a lot of people doing exactly that in the next few years.
South East England ABR Group!
judge148

Post by judge148 »

Mark Young wrote: I think in fact that there will be a lot of people doing exactly that in the next few years.
No doubt !

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”