riding in drizzle in the dark

Bikers and riding
robertjlawler

Post by robertjlawler »

Ok so Im still riding to and from work. Up till today alls been fine. Its rained been cold wet, been followed by numpties 2 inches from my back wheel. Up till today its not bothered me.

Tonight however the drizzle made riding just scary. Couldnt see a thing when cars were coming toward me with lights on. Couldnt have the visor up for more than a few seconds as the drizzle just burned the eyes. As soon as the visor was down it was impossible to see even when wiping visor every 10 seconds. Had to pull over at least twice.

Didnt enjoy the experience in th slightsest.
Sopwith Camel

Re: riding in drizzle in the dark

Post by Sopwith Camel »

Just keep wiping your visor and leave extra space.
You can buy a little wiper (think windscreen) that can go on your glove.
I've never used one but might be worth a try.

:)
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

What helmet are you using? and on what bike (fairing or screen?)

I had the same experience today but no real problem with my Shoei Hornet DS (with Pinlock), I find that trying to wipe the visor clear doesn't really work but just wiping a finger once across the visor in front of my eyeline breaks up the water enough to see clearly.

OK I do have some protection from the screen on the Adventure but at 6'1" it doesn't keep the visor clear.

The thing Sopwith Camel is referring to is the V-Wipe
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
mwrmoore

Post by mwrmoore »

Yellow tint visor, or headlights, that's my solution along with a fog city insert (in my caberg) and gloves with a wiper (Spada enforcer)
andymac

Post by andymac »

The joys of biking :laugh:
work hard,,,,,,,,,,,play harder !!
Shunt

Post by Shunt »

Yup yellow tints help a lot.

A while ago I was coming from somewhere. Same as you couldn't see F a. But passed a screwfix. Grabbed some amber safety specs.
No rarely leave home without them.

A bottle of JD to come home to helps the mental state of crap journeys. ;)
sledgegreen

Post by sledgegreen »

Keep your visor as clean as possible - any grease or dirt will increase the distortion of the image through that you see. I find that immediately after a ride in drizzle is best - the dampness seems to penetrate and loosen the dirt so that it comes off easily with a tissue.
kas89

Post by kas89 »

Use a fog mask to divert ya breath downward instead of all over the visor.
Also as said by previous pinlock visor will help with the insert.
bull

Post by bull »

:laugh: you get used to it, Dont look at the car headlights look towards the ditch or hedge row as far ahead as you can, keep your visor open about a half inch or so to stop it fogging up, you need to judge when to wipe the visor, dont wipe the visor when the car is on top of you, wipe it a bit before the car gets to you, when you wipe the visor it should be fast and effective so you dont have to wipe it a second time when the car lights are on top of you. And also, only go as fast as the distance you can see ahead of you because you must be able to stop within that distance.
900Fantrider

Post by 900Fantrider »

Ive been useing "Rain X" since 2004 and it works great. Before I had a pinlock I also used the rainx demister. If travelling at above 20mph I just turn my head slightly to the side and it clears instantly and I also have a sponge tucked in my fairing to get rid of road dirt whilst at lights etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-RAIN-REPE ... 2eb8c97687

N.B-If you go down this route do a spot check on your visor as its not recommended for some plastics, but then its never melted mine ;)
Too many Cagiva Elefants, Gran Canyons and Ducatis!
Azzalin SP and various others.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”