Commuting to work

Bikers and riding
qcnr

Commuting to work

Post by qcnr »

Should not have done it this morning, but I carried out all my pre ride checks
at this time of year. Seeing as we live of the main roads, if there has been frost
it will b frosty by us, whereas the main roads will be salted, so not a good indicator.
Outside, no sign of frost, tarmac wet and not slippy. So continue getting ready
pull the bike out, start up and ride off. Yepp eveything fine no signs of sparkly roads.
Still a bit cautious though. Into town, round a round about, 1st gear coming out into
a slight bend and bang, asphalt. Not a hint of sparkly road untilI picked myself up
and had a look around. Lots of slippy patches all over the place :(
Currently at work nursing a very sore hand/ wrist, a sore knee and shoulder, damaged helmet
scraped crashbars and handlebar.
So be careful out there :(
Andi_Archer

Re: Commuting to work

Post by Andi_Archer »

Damn that’s not good it’s lucky there was no other traffic nearby.Which tyres do you have fitted?
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Heidenau K-60 SiO2 winter tyres...
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

So long as you and your bike aren't too bad.I don't use my bike for commuting anymore but when I did 3c was my limit.I was just commuting on country roads so often no gritters and I wasn't saving much time with traffic.It just wasn't worth the risk especially in the dark when you couldn't really see the road condition.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Yes, when you hit proper ice you don't have time to feel it, it's just bang and you're on the floor :oops:
I'd quite often hear my engine revs go up and down while riding to work in winter and just have to keep steady. Once ended up riding down the grass verge with a car spinning past me knocking everyone else off the road, fortunately I always had enduro tyres fitted at that time so it didn't bother me (+ I was 19 and invulnerable)

Steve
herman

Post by herman »

I got all the way to work once in icy conditions taking it nice and steady then promptly fell off in the car park which obviously had not been gritted like the roads. :oops:
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

herman wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:16 pm I got all the way to work once in icy conditions taking it nice and steady then promptly fell off in the car park which obviously had not been gritted like the roads. :oops:
Did exactly the same thing many years back, when I could only afford to commute on my RD400. Not a great bike for ice and snow! And my kit back then was crap so I got to work so bloody cold I spent the first 20 minutes hugging a radiator.

This is the point at which rose-tinted nostalgists say something like 'Ah, those were the days!' Well they weren't. It was shit. And cold. And horrible.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

You big Nancy dave :lol: :lol: ....no what you mean though. Good to hear you're not to badly hurt qcnr, respect for winter commuting :D
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Wrapping a newspaper in brown paper to stuff up the front of your jacket to keep snug and warm, yeh not quite the same as Goretex and heated coils :roll: Winter riding 8 miles to go up Parbold Hill to get a cup of hot oxo and look towards Blackpool lights, then ride back again, looking back my mother was right after all :o

Sometimes wonder about the holding of the National Motorcycle Show in the back half of November :idea: I remember driving a minibus full of students and being one of the last vehicles to leave the NEC before others got snowed in overnight.

So with all that experience and collected wisdom what is the first thing I do when it snows :?: Yep you are correct let the Serow's tyre pressures down and go look at the pretty fields of Derbyshire. I think I now understand why the dinosaurs died out :lol: :lol:

Take care out there.

TTFN

Hugh
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

yep .. a newspaper front chest buffer is extremely effective against the sold .. still is ;)

Surely it is much safer to catch a bus or train .. at least on icy days .. which is a lot of days in Norway. .. just too dangerous .. but then, I am a wimp ... what about the spike things bolted through tyres?

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”