Hello from Suffolk.

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
ipswichbiker

Hello from Suffolk.

Post by ipswichbiker »

I finally managed to get out to the byways around King's Forest near Thetford on my new to me xt660z. Great riding the gravel roads, over potholes like corrugation, through mud puddles, compacted mud... very adventuresome. Proper standing up on the pegs off road riding. Loved riding through big lake like water filled potholes with water flying everywhere. I think you know you are riding off road when you have a bow wave! Its like the joy of a child splashing in a muddy puddle but on a motorbike. Then I got to the sticky mud. It was like riding a wallowing pig that will only travel diagonally. My tyres quickly turned into slicks as the tread pattern was filled in. After about 5 slow speed tumbles in 100m I knew it was time to turn around. Managed to man handle the increasingly heavy bike, splip slidding around with the guy I was riding with, so it was pointing in the opposite direction and head back to something solid. Back at home washed the bike down and not a mark on it. I think I will try that again in the summer. One special moment was when riding along edge of forest and four deer were running along in the same direction and one shot off across the road in front of me. So where next? Any suggestions?
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Mark1961

Re: Hello from Suffolk.

Post by Mark1961 »

Welcome aboard my friend. If you like going off the beaten track and on to something, a bit lumpier. Then this is the place to start.
:)
Whatever you do and wherever you go please keep it safe. ;)
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Do you mean I have to wear a condom? :laugh:

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

Only if its seriously thick rubber. i.e. better than leather........

You could even wear a gimp mask instead of a helmet....:laugh: :laugh:
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Sounds like you had a great time in the mud.:lol: I know exactly what you mean about riding through puddles its like being a kid again.:woohoo:
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Yes has whetted my appetite for the wet stuff. Would like to try a river crossing.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Paul C

Post by Paul C »

I chickened out of a small ford this afternoon. I didn't know how slippy it would be in the bottom and didn't fancy trying to heft my GSA while my boots filled with water. (I'm new to this, got to break myself in gently! ;) )

Maybe you could show me how it's done sometime, Ipswitchbiker? I'm not that far from you.
...I just want to ride!
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

ipswichbiker wrote:Yes has whetted my appetite for the wet stuff. Would like to try a river crossing.
Same here but I cant find any.:S
dusi

Post by dusi »

Welcome Ips-tractorboy-wichbiker :P you could travel over the border, to N/Essex quite a few trails/BOATS/byways near me, but loads n loads of thick Essex clay too, we've a bit of water and a few small river crossings, and a bit wider fords, be happy to show you round, though I'll be on my TT600 Belgrada shod with proper road legal knobbly tyres, watch out for tricks on the lanes, some times there are large submerged obstacles, some there naturally, but some placed there by idiots to catch you out, on one of our local lanes we found a 6' x 2' foot section of rusty corrugated iorn sheet, loads sharp edges to cut you up, looked like some one had got stuck in a car/4x4 and used it to get through a huge water filled rut, n just left it there submerged!! All d best Dusan, N/Essex nr Sudbury, Halstead.
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Hi Paul C and Dusi,
Would definately like to meet up some time for a rider out. I think you need to ride a trail with someone to be safe. If I had been riding on my own yesterday I would probably still be there rolling around in the mud unable to move the bike 180 degrees to face the other direction. Dusi if you know of some semi solid trails it would be fantastic. I dont mind water, potholes or mud patches but slippery mud with soft mud underneath is a definate no for me at the moment. If I had some money I would prob get some conti TCK80s. Paul Im no off road expert but would love to try that river crossing/ford. Where abouts was it? Could go and have a look together some time.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”