Newbie in SWest England

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
NeilM

Newbie in SWest England

Post by NeilM »

As a new member, I thought it was only polite that I post a 'HELLO' with a very brief into.

I'm 61 years old, retired, and have been motorcycling since I was 16 (well mopeding back then). I have ridden mostly British and some Italian, American and other bikes over the years, but having sold a Buell S3 a number of years ago after concluding I was either going to lose my licence or my life, due to the plummeting driving standards of other road users, I had pretty much given up on motorcycling.

So, it is a bit of a surprise to find myself back at it, first with an Armstrong MT500 bought this time last year, and more recently that has been joined in the garage by a 2016 VStrom 650 (my first ever Japanese bike) with which I hope to travel all round the UK over the next few years.
dibbs

Re: Newbie in SWest England

Post by dibbs »

Good for you Neil!!! you go for it. I hope im still riding when im your age (im not that far away now!!!) and your choice of bike i think is probably the best for getting back in the saddle...

Oh and welcome in by the way.
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

When you are my age! OMG that makes me sound ancient. :mrgreen:

Actually I am only 27, it is just that my body is a little older.
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

Welcome Neil.

It’s great that you’ve re-discovered the joys of motorcycling whilst still young enough to enjoy many more years in the saddle.

I will be riding for as long as I can get my leg over!

:D
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

good on ya welcome to this little community if you ever wanna come across the Bristol Channel and need some pointers feel free to contact me. My patch is perfect for a little Strom.
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Thanks bikenav, I will most likely take you up on that offer.

The plan for this year was to start visiting all the UK National Parks and also maybe a quick three day loop up to the Scottish borders and back.... then Covid happened, so I have decided to stick with one day rides for now.

I know the South West, South and West Wales pretty well as I spent my entire 42 year working life on the road, mostly as a salesman supplying the building trade. But that usually meant the fastest way to and from sites, so I need to work out some of the more scenic routes for the remainder of this year.
Last edited by NeilM on Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Welcome to the fold, 61 is young, I am significantly older, starting in the 60,s with a Tiger Cub and an AJS 31CSR.
Last year met this biker who was 89, really gave me hope, my long term biking friend had to give up biking because of his hands and he was 67, we had many good times biking across Europe.
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Thanks for the welcome Dark Knight.

As well as motorcycling I do a fair bike of road cycling. I was recently over in the Chew Valley right next to the lake when a couple of 'senior gentlemen' pulled up on old British bikes. I could not help noticing that the size of the bikes perfectly suited the two chaps.... both bikes were immaculate, one a Norton Dominator the other a big single BSA.

I started out in 1975 on a little Raleigh moped and then as soon as I was 17 I got a 1966 Royal Enfield 250 and stuck with British bikes up until 1990 when I got a very sorry looking Laverda 3C which I restored... lots of others have come and gone, mostly Brit's and now the VStrom which suits my current needs perfectly.

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”