Hello from Tiptree (ish)

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
ScottCC

Hello from Tiptree (ish)

Post by ScottCC »

Hi all, Just realised I had wrongly posted somewhere else before here, I will live with the shame.

Owner of an 15 plate xt660z and am about to start planning a run down through West Africa for next year. But Im also taking my 9 year old daughter on the trip to!

Keen to hear thoughts and experiences (Rosso being one of them after the stories Ive heard other places)

Best routes, best places to stay, must dos and don't dos etc.

Also will be doing a short loop Calais round to hook of Holland with her in the summer any thought son this too? (Probably 3 or 4 days worth)

Thanks

Scott
OnHellas

Re: Hello from Tiptree (ish)

Post by OnHellas »

Hello and welcome.

Your trip planning sounds exciting. We will be needing a report and lots of photos. We like photos.

Rosso. An interesting border crossing. I went from Mauritania to Senagal at that border, using the ferry.
I was driving a support truck in the 2012 Heroes Legend Rallye from France to Dakar.
We were travelling in the ‘bubble’ of a Rallye with a fixer to hand so it was OK. Apart from being there for about 8 hours in all.
The ferry broke down a couple of times and some of the local truck drivers got pretty angry when we were put ahead of them to get the last crossing of the day!
Luckily the police stood between us and them.

I would advise, as with most border crossings, to get there early. I’ve found iOverlander to be a good source of information all be it I’ve not used it in Africa.

I’m sure that more info will be coming your way as others have shared stories on here of heading through Africa.

ps Got any Jam.......? Sorry, someone had to do it.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Hi Scott and welcome aboard from windy Glos,

Sounds an amazing adventure. I have a nine year old daughter and I can't imagine having her on the back of a bike all day! What motivated your to choose that destination?

Bren
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
ScottCC

Post by ScottCC »

OnHellas wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:40 am Hello and welcome.

Your trip planning sounds exciting. We will be needing a report and lots of photos. We like photos.

Rosso. An interesting border crossing. I went from Mauritania to Senagal at that border, using the ferry.
I was driving a support truck in the 2012 Heroes Legend Rallye from France to Dakar.
We were travelling in the ‘bubble’ of a Rallye with a fixer to hand so it was OK. Apart from being there for about 8 hours in all.
The ferry broke down a couple of times and some of the local truck drivers got pretty angry when we were put ahead of them to get the last crossing of the day!
Luckily the police stood between us and them.

I would advise, as with most border crossings, to get there early. I’ve found iOverlander to be a good source of information all be it I’ve not used it in Africa.

I’m sure that more info will be coming your way as others have shared stories on here of heading through Africa.

ps Got any Jam.......? Sorry, someone had to do it.

Hey there, and hi....... I have ioverlander and maps.me so they will be well used IM sure. Sounds awesome what you did as part of the Rallye and great experience too!! As for photos, my little one wants to do you tube for it as well so thats slightly daunting for me but she says she will practice lots before we go!!
ScottCC

Post by ScottCC »

Brenhden wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:37 pm Hi Scott and welcome aboard from windy Glos,

Sounds an amazing adventure. I have a nine year old daughter and I can't imagine having her on the back of a bike all day! What motivated your to choose that destination?

Bren

Hey Bren, hi!
Ref the destination we will be travelling down to at least Senegal as we have friends that live there (below the Gambia) so instead of flying we (daughter and me) made a decision to go that route and then maybe head across Africa and come up the East side. She may fly back though depends on what happens. As for on the bike all day, they will be farily short days in the grand scheme of things and the journey will take a wee bit longer than most of us would do alone!! But Im cool with that as its about the experience of it all. There will be 2 days stopovers etc en-route I have no doubts of that, but looking forward to it

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”