Newbie in Suffolk

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
frenchy3

Re: Newbie in Suffolk

Post by frenchy3 »

dibbs wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:29 pm Went out with Petecam today around the Thetford lanes, and thoroughly enjoyed myself! Pete is a really nice guy, and knows how to ride the big GS very well!! and knows the area, so all I had to do was concentrate on the track in front of me!!!!!!! (oh and eat his dust all day!! which there was a lot of!) which consisted of mainly gravel, with flint mixed in and quite a bit of sand, some quite deep in places so it will test your sand riding skills!!, a little bit of mud but not too much and some single track. We saw some American jets flying around Lakenheath too which was a bonus, Also some Hares, and lots of little new born lambs, they are so cute, plenty of Pheasants and those stupid little squab things that run along in front of you all the time until the very last minute lol.. couple of horses, and a few dog walkers! oh and one other group of dirt bike riders (one of which I recognised from the KTM forum (small world). I really like Thetford because it has all types of terrain to test you. Did around 220miles all in including getting there and back, and completely knackered now! even got some historical facts from Pete thrown in for free!!! here's a picture showing that it happened. The wall in the background was apparently used for target practice for the RAF during WW2 and you can see its peppered with bullet holes fascinating really as I would never have known that and just ridden on by. We must do this sort of thing more often, and its good to meet up with other like minded folk from this site, rather than just talk about it on here... We finished up at Walkers café for a well earned biker favourite, Tea & Cake. Until next time, and thanks again for leading Pete.
ImageUntitled by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2e8kaCK]Image
Untitled by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152522527@N08/]
I have lived in Norfolk since 1981 and love all the green lanes around here. The wall you found that was used for target practice during world war two also had a much earlier heritage. Elveden was where they trialled the new tanks before the battle Cambrai the first major use of the tank in world war one. It was a well kept secret and the wall was used for trialling the machine guns of the Mk1 female tank and the cannons of the Mk 1 male tank.The reason they are called tanks is that people passed comment that they resembled a water tank with their slab sides and rivetted construction, I only found this out recently. Glad you had a great day out on the bikes.
John Griffin

Post by John Griffin »

Hi all

Sorry for not replying to the messages sooner, but I've been away. I've checked my work rota and I'm free on the weekend of 27th and 28th April if anybody fancies showing me around the byways of thetford. I've ridden enduro bikes in the past, but nothing this big. So any pointers would be much appreciated.

John
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

You missed a good day out John! shame as i was hoping to blag a ride on your 790r hehehehe.... Im sure there will be another soon.
petecam

Post by petecam »

dibbs wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:29 pm Said Stuff !
Thank you for the kind words Phil (money to the normal place?) It was also great to meet up and ride with a fellow big trailie rider. Its nice to ride with another large bike and not be chasing Enduro bikes like I normally am!

You certainly handled the AT well in the sand which can be quite tricky!

I can also vouch to other ABR members that you are friendly and not an axe murderer or bike jacker :lol:
I will post up another ride out soon but I’m getting low on history lessons !
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Bromance!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: looking forward to the next one but make sure you swat up on the history please!!!!

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”