Help find an alternative to my Gixer!

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
Hopper1

Re: Help find an alternative to my Gixer!

Post by Hopper1 »

Hi guys,

Thanks muchly for the feedback.

Fortunately, I don't really have a budget, so a new bike is reasonable.

To clear up the requirments a little more...

When I mentioned offroading, I wasn't thinking of 'proper' enduro/scambling type efforts... More likely open trails, etc and probably part of a group event sort of stuff.
I'll likely keep hold of the Gixer, too... For a while yet.

Full on enduro type bike/ riding is too hardcore for me, I can't be arsed with learning how to holeshot out of berms, etc... Too old for all that :lol:
Trev

Post by Trev »

Good luck, deffo keep the gixer, I've a 2001 K1 and have now gone down the route of a Guzzi Grsio for summer fun and and new Africa Twin, both great bikes but nothing like hurling a gixer around :D
990Duck

Post by 990Duck »

KTM 990 Adventure R.
Great all rounder wish I hadn't sold mine now. Failing that the newer 1090R.
Best thing to do is get booking some test rides
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Have you ever ridden an enduro/trail bike off road? Sorry if you're an Enduro star!
If not, In my experience sports bike riders with no off-road experience don't take easily to loose/rutted surfaces.
It's pretty easy to get carried away when you see these promotional videos of professional riders out on gravel and rutted trails chucking big adventure bikes around like 250 enduros......these are difficult skills on a big bike!
I'd say you'd need some trail/enduro bike experience before you'd want to attempt to ride a big adventure bike on anything but tarmac.
Why not do a few days with one of the Spanish based Enduro bike companies? They provide the bike, generally some training is thrown in and they'll lead you out on endless trails to suit your skill levels......it's also good fun, talk a couple of your mates into it!
This way you'd know if the loose stuff really is for you.....which would influence your choice of bike. Some Adventure bikes lack a bit of road performance, but are better on the rough stuff, some Adventure bikes are really just upright comfy road bikes, some can do both but they are going to be a handful!
After a bit of experience/training on something a bit smaller, would you want to continue to enhance your off road skills so you can tackle gnarly stuff on a big adventure bike with some confidence, or would you want to keep pretty much to tarmac.
Either way, even a road oriented Adventure bike will deal with poor road surfaces better that a sportsbike or a lardy sports tourer.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Just get a BMW GS of some sort

Best seller in sector

Everybody ends up there (unless they're poor)

Might as well just go straight there and have a test ride first as they are well weird bikes
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Good advice from Steve, above.

I was a solely sports bike rider and short-circuit racer for many years, with just the occasional foray into softer road bikes like the ZRX1200 - for commuting to work and for a bit of touring. With a couple of minor exceptions, I basically never rode off road until about 7 years ago. Out here in France, with endless unrestricted trails, it seemed crazy not to give it a go. I started with a 1000 Euro DR350, and learnt bit by bit how to ride off tarmac (still learning every outing). 3 bikes later, I now use a Beta 450RR enduro bike, but not for entering enduros. No berms and holeshots for me either. It's a greenlaning bike, with some gnarly forest stuff and tricky hill-climbs thrown in. You don't need to compete in Enduros or MX to own and run an enduro bike. They are still the best means of covering the full variety of terrain and there is little that you can't try to tackle - well beyond the time when heavier dual-sports and ADV bikes can't cope. Only your own skills will limit where you can and can't take a proper enduro bike.

The difficult area of biking is the transition between good tarmac and genuine off-road. Those gravelly, badly surfaced tracks and back lanes are a nightmare on a sportsbike or a large tourer, and suddenly the GS1200s and Africa-Twins come into their own.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Sensible approach is to have a look at the Triumph adventure centre or Touratech (if they are still going) etc. etc. go on a course or three over the winter and then decide. Crashing someone else's bike is always cheaper than crashing your own.

Semi sensible approach is to buy a really old KTM, Tiger or Transalp etc. (something not too light) and try it out for yourself (though take a friend to help you pick it up / call an air ambulance).

Not so sensible approach, just but something you like the look / specs of and go for it.

I gave up fast sports bikes when my neck, wrists, knees and back told me it was time. I now have a couple of Triumphs: Tiger 800 XRT and Street Triple R, mainly because the local dealer is excellent, but both can be ridden all day. The Street triple handles well but the wind blast keeps your speed down (a bit). The Tiger is an upright road bike, not fast, but very comfortable.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

...I have to say that I kind of agree with Johnnyboxer. I expected to hate the big GS when I rode it because my background is Enduro racing and mental Sports bike riding but there was just something about it that was ‘right’. I’ll probably end up with one at some point :o
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

GS are like a magnet - there USA strong power pulling you towards them
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Scott_rider wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:46 am ...I have to say that I kind of agree with Johnnyboxer. I expected to hate the big GS when I rode it because my background is Enduro racing and mental Sports bike riding but there was just something about it that was ‘right’. I’ll probably end up with one at some point :o
Phil, I can't believe that you typed that. :shock: Has your account been hacked or have you had a head injury? :?

I have recently had the misfortune to own a BMW GS1150 for two years - it was the worst motorcycle I've ever ridden or owned. It was crude, clunky, vibrated unpleasantly, dismal clutch feel, appalling built quality - I could go on.

The only thing it did passably well was go from A-B once you got it into 5th/6th gear.

And apparently this model was the zenith of GS development. :o :o :o

Now sanity has returned - a well designed and built Honda has replaced it and two up riding harmony has been restored.

Given your biking back catalogue I cannot imagine you on a GS - not for long anyway.

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”