Help find an alternative to my Gixer!

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
Ricalnic

Re: Help find an alternative to my Gixer!

Post by Ricalnic »

Hi Paul, love my K4 Gixxer thou, always wanted a Gixxer, and after getting it new in 2004 I was not disappointed. It’s a great bike, I’ve looked after it from new, and OK, it may be a bit of a garage queen, but has taken me to Ireland and IOM many times to watch the road racing. It’s a great bike and a keeper for me, worth more to keep, than to trade or replace.
It was at the TT in 2010 that I had a shot of a friends 1200 GSA, ok it was never going to have the rip of the K4, but I was immediately smitten by the handling, smoothness, serenity and comfortable driving position. I took delivery of my very own new 1200TC GSA in 2012, and like the K4 it’s a keeper. I love my GSA for its simplicity, no worry about chain, lube, tension, and my shoulders and neck don’t crane to look up. It’s so easy to get on and ride, and it can hustle along quite the thing, no worries about drain covers or overbanding, it soakes it up, and the big wide bars enable plenty control. The torque of the motor enables swift overtakes without the need to wind her on or drop a gear, fabulous. The telelever front suspension does not dive under braking nor run wide with any mid corner dab of brakes, it’s a great machine.
The Gixxer still sits in the garage, I still love her and her addictive 4 cylinder howl, but it’s the key for the GSA which I reach for first.

All the best
Ricalnic
Hopper1

Post by Hopper1 »

Thanks, guys... Some great input and advice. I thank you for taking the time to drop in your twopenneth...

So, going forward, it looks like I'll be doing a fair few test rides in January, taking in the big ADV's as well as the odd sports tourer and naked road bike, just to cover the options.

Also, as it has been aluded to, I may be better off dipping my toe in with a used machine and seeing how I feel on it.

Now going to look at some tour operators, see whats available for after Christmas, and go have a play...

Cheers guys ;)
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Good luck with the test rides, it's the only way to find out & always go back for seconds

Just remember if you're dragging your knee sliders (especially on a Boxer) you've overcooked it spectacularly :lol:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Hopper1

Post by Hopper1 »

So, back at home and the deal is done!...
After much thought (before getting home), I decided that a 'mere' naked bike wouldn't give me what I need (a calming bike), as they are mainly still good handling, slightly detuned versions of their super bike brothers, so I focused on the Adventure machines...

This didn't get me too far, by way of varied tests, as I went to see the 1250GS first.

Being vertically challenged, I was glad to see that there was a low version in the showroom, which I was surprised at, as it was the perfect height for me, despite still looking too big!
All good so far... An extended test ride was arranged.
Unfortunately, the only demo model available was a 'full fat' 1250! Boy, are they tall! Even with the saddle on it's lower position, I could only get one toe on the ground at any one time.
I'm a confident rider, but, when at a stand still, I have never felt so vulnerable. Luckily, this was just a demo machine and once rolling, the bike was great.
Really impressed me in all areas I tested it. Be it B roads, main A's, DC's, low speed crawling, right up to Dynamic mode. Loved the quick shifter and my first encounter with heated grips! ;)
Impressive TFT dash, and the way all the various switches and rockers fell to hand quite naturally.

Upshot of it all... my '19 plate R1250GS Rallye TE should be here for 1st March :D

Next stop, is a load of new riding gear, as I felt a right tw*t in leathers, with knee sliders :lol: :roll:
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Congrats nobody can look a tw@t riding a BMW ;) its just not possible.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

So a month and a half to get the maps out and start planning some adventures.
Enjoy.
Hopper1

Post by Hopper1 »

Can't wait... Now I need to get some 'appropriate' riding kit .

Looking very closely at the Klim range for clothing.
Not sure on boots, as yet.
I actually liked the BMW Rallye range, but really don't want to look like a fanboy :lol:
The Klim laminated Gore Tex Pro looks so much more capable than layers, to me...
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Re Boots...it's a big choice, for you and the bike.

The bike's performance and on/off road balance is pretty much defined by its tyres. Nothing makes more difference. The more aggressive the tread pattern the more at home the bike will feel off-tarmac, but the more compromised ride and handling will be on road.

Likewise with boots. If you are off-roading a lot, only dedicated off-road boots will have sufficient protection for you and durability for them. There are fake 'adventure' boots that will fall to bits in no time if you are riding off-road a lot.
On the other hand the full-on off-road boots (basically MX boots with 'gripper' rather than 'slipper' soles) don't offer nuanced control of brake and shift pedals, and are heavy and stiff to walk in.

Lots of people here have ended up with two sets of wheels and tyres, and two pairs of boots.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Klim works for me. The Pro Shell Badlands suit is excellent. I think so anyway.
Hopper1

Post by Hopper1 »

OnHellas wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:00 pm Klim works for me. The Pro Shell Badlands suit is excellent. I think so anyway.
I'm liking the Badlands suit, but I need the 'short' trousers. Very impressive technical suit. I tried a few on today. Weird how some Klim are sized as S, M, L, etc and others are in the euro sizing, 50, 52, 54, etc... Just got to decide which one fits, with enough room for an extra layer, when the temperature drops...

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”