Hello from between Hereford and Abergavenny

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
[email protected]

Hello from between Hereford and Abergavenny

Post by [email protected] »

Hi,

I'm a 49 yr old GS rider based near the Black Mountains. I long ago decided that if I've paid for an enduro setting I might as well get to use it and I love getting off the beaten track. I am planning to get a Fantic 250 style bike at some point as I have pushed the weight side of the GS' limitations recently and there's been places that (with my ability) I couldn't have taken the GS but I could've taken a lighter more agile bike. Anyhow... I've done BMW off road skills Level One (loved it) and a half day with Yamaha Off Road Skills (loved it too!) when I was at Nick Sanders fantastic Mach Festival in Llanidloes. I've done the Claerwen Reservoir track a couple of times and the section beyond it on quiet days and following the advice of TRF members. I did the trail just to the West of Rhayader and was gratified when some 'proper' green laners came by and were impressed that I'd done it on the GS, which is a touring edition with spoked wheels and Pirelli Rally STR tyres on it. I've done water crossings, deep puddles and I'm loving it all. I've done the track close to the halfway point of the Abergwesyn Pass, which was great until it got just a bit too challenging where it angles very sharply drops in height a bit and crosses a ford, about a mile or two in. I've been lucky enough to get a lot of my OS maps marked up by a very helpful guy at the Yamaha Off Road Skills so I'm really looking forward to more info coming up on the new sections of the TRF website. I'm particularly keen on finding any trails in the Llandovery area which are good for the GS as I'm not too far away. I'm very into the idea of wild camping too so if anyone knows any really scenic quiet spots and they don't mind sharing them I'm all ears. I'm affiliated to the Hereford TRF but will also be keeping my eyes and ears on goings on posted by South and Mid Wales TRF groups too. I'm really glad I've become a member and really looking forward to doing more and more, challenging myself, getting out there, exploring and meeting others. On road I've done my advanced riding with IAM which I can't recommend highly enough as it just teaches you so much that stacks the odds that little bit more in your favour, safety wise! Now I just need to hang out with more experienced TRF off road riders and learn heaps so that I can say the same about my off road riding. I think that's just about it. Do get in touch if you are a rider with any of the groups I've mentioned or if you can pass on any advice re outstanding trails in my area, or even trails that are worth travelling for (I'm loving the look of the Old Coach Road in Cumbria as there've been so many great pics of it being repaired). Roll on my TRF membership now it has been truly activated...
Fried Egg Sandwich

Re: Hello from between Hereford and Abergavenny

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

Hello and welcome.
Like you I did my first green laning on "black top" orientated bikes, Honda CX500, Aprilia Pegaso 650, then did the BMW off road school in 2003. And fell in love with the 1150GS then. Couldn't quite afford one until a few years later. When I could I bought one and still have it now!
After my first year or so green laning on it, like you got fed up with the weight picking it up when I dropped it on the trail so bought a lighter DRZ400S.
It also has it's decriers (too heavy, not enough power!) But I'm not racing, so it does me. However if someone offered me a Husky 701 I'd not say no having ridden one!
Joining the TRF has opened a whole new group of friends and riding buddies to me, so I'm with you there too.
Look forward to meeting you on the trails either in Wales or at a TRF or ABR rally.
👍😀
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Welcome , you live in a great place as you have loads on lanes right on your doorstep. Good luck with your new bike .
one-legged adventurer
Cone

Post by Cone »

I’m located in a similar area so if you fancy meeting up for a ride sometime give me a shout
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

Hi and welcome :D
Have a look at the lanes north of Leominster, around Knighton and over the Long Mynd in Shropshire.
They aren't far from you, are big bike do-able and legal.
All on the OS map and I can manage to plod around a lot of them on a TTR 600 single, so guess also on a big GS??

Would be happy to either show you around or them mark up on a map for you - it might beat exploring and finding the more tricky ones the hard way :o
Boggs

Post by Boggs »

Welcome to the forum matey 8-)

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”