Hello from Warwickshire.

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
Russell O

Re: Hello from Warwickshire.

Post by Russell O »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:45 am
Russell O wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:58 am Looked at that this morning and not far away either. Will give them a call at dinner..

2 stroke, no not really. always had 4 strokes as I like the power delivery. Had a ride on a CR500 back in the days of youth and it
had some fun with me then very unpoliitely threw me off.. I was being an idiot at the time and giving it some beans but was for sure a no mercy bike and it put me off forever so 4 all the way.

Looking at 1 day riding with a single bike trailer for transport to Peaks/Wales etc. Drive back in comfort with dry clothes. Getting on a bit now.
Yeah, know what you mean about 2 strokes, but they have changed a great deal. Nobody sells anything like a CR500 anymore, which was a brutal animal with a crazy powerband. These days 2 stroke enduro bikes are super smooth with very good low down torque, almost un-stallable, and much easier to ride. Lighter too on the whole. Beta 300RR, KTM EXC300, Huskie TE300, Sherco etc - all excellent now.

The 4-strokes require a bit less maintenance but they are more expensive to fix when they do go wrong. All these bikes like regular fresh oil/filters, but nearly everything is pretty reliable compared to the old days, especially for softer green-laning use.
Dave you have been very helpful with the info provided. Thanks pal.
Going to have a look at that 500EXC at the weekend, and a 450 EXC for a comparison. Can't believe the light weight of some of these bikes now after having had an XR600 and a CCM604E in the past. Had an XR250 with electric start when I lived in Cyprus and that was a great bike, On loose shale it never ceased to amaze me. Light and agile but lacking on power. Never got to try an XR400.
Will let you know how I get on after the weekend.
Once again.........Cheers

Russell
daveuprite

Re: Hello from Warwickshire.

Post by daveuprite »

Have fun! But also have a bit of respect for the EXC500, which makes an XR600 feel like riding a comatose snail....

As I said above, there are ways of taming it and making it less formidable. But you are still looking at about 110kgs and 55bhp - so be aware.

The best thing is, you will never need to spend money chasing power because you have more than enough to begin with.

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”