TET pending so time to buy not rent

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
minkyhead

Re: TET pending so time to buy not rent

Post by minkyhead »

as said ccm uncut and the owners facebook pages are a constant souce of good /and bad info ..on balence mostly good ..judge for yourself

things to watch out for ... fueling .... a ccm that has feuling /surging or snatching issues has proved difficult to cure ..one that has none seems to stay that way from what i hear ..do not buy without a test and if the feuling is not as it should be walk away

id avoid the husky engine sr models they have been markedly less reliable than the bmw units ??
r
..ive over 20k up on em and min have been good

2 months ??

heres where im at ..you will never find a post from me that saw the ccm as anything but a week /weekend warior

do not buy into ccms 5000 mile service intervals do it on feel and riding condition or hours ..as guide i oil; service mine around every 50 hours and they have been pretty good .... my acerage on the ccm is 24mph so divide that by 5000 and good luck with that ..it s far too infrequent ..over 200 hours ??

tyre wear is also a consideration even with the cush a full braaap ccm will eat a rear in short order and are averging 50mpg more when gentle but less when razzing ....average 160miles for 17 litres for a full braaper 190 for a 42hp

... so have you sources for new rubber in your itinery ..i only use off road tyres i find k60s pretty dam usless when its wet ...i can suck the best of a maxxis in900 miles and the best of a e09 in 2500 ??

ive done severel 2000 mile rips on one and ..you must watch the oil and never let it drop levels

these simple routines have kept mine running very well

for two month 6/7000 mile trip ide use one of me low stress bikes ... for a weekend in the welsh wales id blast the ccm and enjoy it ..for real tight woodsy stuff its too high geared as standard ..so it aint unique in that department ... for the trail trip in bulgaria last year i shipped it with 14 50 gearing and it was awsome ...you cant expect the 15/47 to cover all bases trhat is a comprimise gearing and for generel trails works ok but first is a little high ..the full braap version is better still at carrying the gearing ....it is a loveley engine when set up right off road ..some standard bike with lean feuling low and high gearing are not the best by far but the full braap versions geared right are pretty dsam impressive ....its not a bike you can just take and ride without some thought ..it not a easy own ?mine still delights and frustrates me in equal measure ..but i wont be selling it thats for sure

you really need to keep em like a 500exc and be prepereed to change oil say every 1000 miles of tet 1500 of steady road use ...

thats my expiriance .... or at least my routine and mine rips and has no faults at all

its a hands on bike and need s a bit of tlc as you go ..they are awkard to work on but oine tou know your way around them you can do on the hoof maintance without too much bother ....but a klr650 it aint :mrgreen:
:D
hope it helps

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Jak*

Re: TET pending so time to buy not rent

Post by Jak* »

I would pretty much agree with what Minky has said and this really is echoed in my conversations with Austin Clews. He seems to believe that his bikes need a full clean every time you ride them in the winter and a through check over and service after an off road trip. It is just a pity they did not write this in the factory brochure. If you are prepared to give a bike this level of care and maintenance they are great and are superb off road. Unfortunately my conversations with the factory and their advertising led me to believe that the GP450 was a relatively low maintenance rugged machine capable of commuting all year round. It is not. To be honest my last experience with the factory makes me believe they have lost all interest in supporting this bike and the owners of it, hence I am planning on selling mine.
I do not know yet what I will replace it with, possibly a TTR 250 which in my experience would not be quite as good off road, but is a much tougher lower maintenance bike and far cheaper to maintain. The other possibility for me would be an Enfield Himalayan which is in many ways a lesser bike but reports so far suggest much more reliable, although I may wait and see how the finish stands up to an English winter. I expect a CRF rally would not really lose out that much to a CCM in most areas but would be more reliable.
Cheers Jak

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”