Hello from the North West from an ABR wannabe

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
FatFreddy

Hello from the North West from an ABR wannabe

Post by FatFreddy »

Hi folks
Not an ABR yet. Recently parted with my trusty VFR and planning to replace it with something smaller with longer travel suspension.(bloody potholes!)
Any advice/opinions/guidance on what might be the best bike to get would be gratefully received.
Not slung my leg over a trail bike (as they used to be called) in 30 yrs so essentially a newbie.
I don't plan any globetrotting treks, just local "adventures" on green lanes and back roads. Also want something I could feasibly commute on if needs be.
Have my eye on the new Royal Enfield Himalayan. I like the old school '80s "2 wheeled land rover" vibe. What do you lot think?
lancashirelad

Re: Hello from the North West from an ABR wannabe

Post by lancashirelad »

Anyone from Lancashire is more than welcome.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Hi and welcome.
Bike suggestions? The Honda CRF 250L and the Rally version of the same have quite a few admirers on here.
I'd say one would be pretty good for shortish town/city commute and they're well liked for green lanes.
Try and get your hands on Bike Magazine March 2018 (The one at the newsagent's for sale now will probably be he April edition) there's an interesting group test of some of the bikes you may be considering......including the 250 Honda and the Himalayan.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings and welcome,

I notice that you are in the Lancashire area so it might be worth your while making contact with the Trail Riders Association which meets at the Petre Arms, Whalley Road, Langho, BB6 8AB, second Tuesday of the month, 20:00, their website is;

https://trailriders.org

The folks there are road and trail orientated and will be willing to help provide guidance to you and answer the variety of questions that you will no doubt have. There is quite a lot of basic information to be found on their public website.

An alternative might be to check out the Manchester Group of the TRF, depending upon where you live. They meet on the 4th Monday of the month at 20:30, The Sycamore Inn, 4 Stamford Square, Ashton under Lyne, OL6 6QX Contact Details: [email protected] Phil Kinder 07809647293

TTFN

Hugh.
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

Hello freddy from Leigh, how 'big' and tall are you?

this may help those giving you advice on suitable bikes to look at

Ian :mrgreen:
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

ay up from lancashire welcome to the forum 8-)
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

lancashirelad wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:09 pm Anyone from Lancashire is more than welcome.
Thanks but am actually a soft southerner. Fell for a Lancashire lass 25 yrs ago and been here in the frozen north ever since. :)
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

scotsy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:40 pm Hello freddy from Leigh, how 'big' and tall are you?

Not from Leigh.... live In Rossendale actually, but thanks for yr post. Am short (5’8”) and fat (100kgs) and OLD (53).
:lol:
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

FatFreddy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:46 pm
scotsy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:40 pm Hello freddy from Leigh, how 'big' and tall are you?

Not from Leigh.... live In Rossendale actually, but thanks for yr post. Am short (5’8”) and fat (100kgs) and OLD (53).
:lol:
My bad grammar freddy, it is me that's in Leigh :shock:
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Ah, I did wonder why you thought I lived in Leigh. Thanks for the welcome :)

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”