What bike again?

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
jamese1110

What bike again?

Post by jamese1110 »

I've just passed my test really want to tour but unsure which bike, I'm 6'2 and built like a brick ****house looked at:

1200gs adventure, 800gs, nice but pricey even second hand - people say it's to heavy off road/green lane-ing in a drop with gear on and impossible to fix if out in field

V-strom - concerned it's a bit low in seat, as feet fully floored and stand clear of seat when i'm on it, also hp when fully loaded in grotty off road conditions

Trans alp - low hp, i'm heavy, gears heavy and reports of bike unable to remove skin off rice pudding!

any advice/recommendations would be gratefully received

Jamese1110
Tenere Mart

Re: What bike again?

Post by Tenere Mart »

Tried looking at the yamaha Tenere 660 or the 1200. #
MART
Bluepaul

Post by Bluepaul »

Can you guess what I'm going to recommend !!!

But it must be blue, coz there faster !:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
howlingmoon

Post by howlingmoon »

Congratulations on passing your test :)
Really is a difficult one.Ive been asking the same question and had some good replys.
I think it boils down to trying them all till you find the one that is right for you.
Although getting the heads up on any of them is invaluable.
jamese1110

Post by jamese1110 »

I hadn't thought of the Yamaha will look into it cheers!
jamese1110

Post by jamese1110 »

I'll pop down to triumph and book a test ride asap
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Bluepaul wrote:Can you guess what I'm going to recommend !!!

But it must be blue, coz there faster !:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Yes the blue are deffinately faster, and should fit you well. cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Scythian

Post by Scythian »

I'm the same height as you - I made my final choices by trying out all the different models out there. Shop around, ring up private sellers and above all sit on the bike and put your feet in turn on the pegs to see how the bike feels around you. Also some people find the tankshape/handlebar reach affects their choice.

I recently tried out a BMW 650GS on a Dakar saddle which was surprisingly comfortable for me, but no good if I wanted to add my son plus luggage :pinch:

The final choices for me was the Tenere or the GS. Do try the Tiger 955i - I loved it, but in the end I wanted a shaft drive. But I just may add a Tiger to my garage in the future.

By the way, if you've just passed your test certain dealers will not allow you to testride their bikes, especially the Triumph dealers, and they will check your driving licence. Check before you book. Yamaha in Bedworth do however so try out the Tenere if you can :)
'The most dangerous part of a motorcycle is the nut connecting the handlebar to the seat.'
africajim

Post by africajim »

Forget the Yamaha, over £12K? As dear as a Beemer!

Three choices for you mate, for a lot of green laning, a Triumph Tiger, 800XC if you've the money, seat set on high and the rubber off the pegs gives a lot more room for a giant like yourself!
If no, a 955i, bargains to be found, they hold their value, quality bikes.
The dark horse? Honda Varadero, full title Honda XL1000V Varadero, stunning bike for two up touring, I stand by my statement, "the best value for money two up tourer on the market to date". Plenty of room, plenty of power, backed up with Honda reliability and build quality!

I just happen to have one for sale! LOL!
Honda Varadero XL1000V VA9
2009 model,
Cherished plate J5XLV
Givi V35 Luggage,
Givi crashbars
Touring Scottoiler
Black metalic
Mint condition.

If you're interested, let me know. ;)
Honda, the power of dreams.
Scythian

Post by Scythian »

Oi! AfricaJim! :laugh: :P ;)

While you're there - do they make 125 Varaderos? Asking on behalf of a new rider. If not, is there a list of baby adventure bikes that can be posted below? :)
'The most dangerous part of a motorcycle is the nut connecting the handlebar to the seat.'

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”