Which Bike

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
Sungam72

Which Bike

Post by Sungam72 »

So here's my question.

I wish to buy an Adventure Bike (new).

My semi regular commute will be London to Gloucester (140 miles) and once a month London to Lyon (550 miles each way).

I want the bike to be capable of going across the world - some hard trails etc yet the bike needs to be as user friendly as possible.

I am 6ft 1 (reasonable shape) and a very experienced road rider - little experience off road.

My thoughts are BMW GS Adventure, KTM 1290 Super Adventure R, the 2018 Triumph Tiger 1200 (what was the Explorer) or the new Big Tank Africa Twin. Money is not an issue for this question.

So, to those of you with experience of Adventure Bikes is there a popular choice or is it down to individual preferences as they will all do the job? And finally, is there any reasons to avoid certain models?

I look forward to your thought and points of view,

Thanks.
SteveW

Re: Which Bike

Post by SteveW »

A GS(A)800 or the new 850 would be my choice.
I've had the GS800 and a GSA800.....also a couple of 1200's.
The 800 is more economical for your commutes, easier off-road than the bigger stuff.
It's also cheaper to buy, it's got a nice punchy engine and will cruise at 100mph and top out at about 125mph.
It's not as smooth or refined as some at motorway cruising speeds as some stuff out there, but as a do-it-all bike it'll be hard to beat.
When it came out I thought this is the GS for ladies. Don't be fooled, it's a proper adventure motorcycle
IMG_1382.JPG
IMG_1382.JPG (220.2 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG (153.59 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
IMG_1472.JPG
IMG_1472.JPG (236.23 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
Sungam72

Post by Sungam72 »

Thank you for taking the time to reply - I will have a look at the new 850.
g00ner

Post by g00ner »

I suspect you'll receive a myriad of replies - from uber panzers (1200GSA) to 350 singles with a mahoosive tank fitted ;) .

Best advice? Book a number of test rides - minimum two hours each - and see which fits best.

if it was me..

My bike - R1200GS which I love
If I was buying now - Africa Twin with the big tank and auto box
If it wasn't my money - Multistrada Enduro

Welcome to the forum though
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I used to do an occasional commute from Gloucester to Dartford, Kent on a KTM 950 Adv. Quicker by far than the car, but once you took into account the greater appetite for tyres, more frequent servicing and chain wear etc I'm not sure that it saved much in the way of cash. The bike did about 45 mpg, where the car did about 37 mpg on the same trip...but very traffic dependent.

If I were you, I'd buy a used bike rather than a new one...high miles will kill the value if you buy a new bike, while one that has been someone-elses pride and joy for a couple of years and has about 4 - 7 ,000 on the clock and the services done will have taken the initial hit and be nicely run-in.

I would guess that there are some good deals on the 800 BM at the moment, with the new model replacing it. I've not ridden one, but, by all accounts they are good on fuel. I understand they are set up to be a 'dry' engine on the over-run...so you use no fuel at all when decelerating. Some folk say the standard screen is a bit low and forward to provide decent protection though. Get one with the goodies like heated grips and centre-stand already fitted...chances are you'll be adjusting chains and changing rear tyres quite frequently. Might be worth sticking a chain oiler on.
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Yamaha super tenere. Probably the most reliable adventure bike on sale. Plus shaft drive for ease of maintenance
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
wideparting

Post by wideparting »

1200 gs adventure,they are still giving 2 years warranty,even on the used approved.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

dubber68 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:20 pm Yamaha super tenere. Probably the most reliable adventure bike on sale. Plus shaft drive for ease of maintenance
What he said :D
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

Add the Versys 1000 to your list. No off road ability to speak of, but for your motorway miles ideal. mine does 60 mpg.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Doing those kinds of miles, I would suggest something with cruise control: if you've never had it on a bike, you may think you don't need it, but once you've had it, you'll never want to be without!

With this in mind, I would suggest the Tiger 800 (quelle surprise). I have had the XC and now the XCx and the engine is a peach: plenty there to have some fun when needed and frugal enough if travelling at designated speeds. I have seen over 60 mpg on a long run and, even fully loaded with all types of roads, I was able to manage an average of mid 50s during a 5,000 mile trip up to Nordkapp and round the Baltics.

Before buying the Tiger, I tested it against the 800 GS back-to-back and the Triumph just felt like the better bike to me: smoother engine with more power, less bouncy suspension (especially when braking) and it just seemed to fit me.

But, as others have said, the best bet is to test ride as many of your options as possible.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”