Which Bike

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
SteveW

Re: Which Bike

Post by SteveW »

Im not sure about cruise control, even in a car.
On a bike For UK riding on mostly contested motorways it can be dangerous, I'd want to keep 100% focussed on riding my bike, which involves regular fast adjustments in my speed....there are a few roads (autobahns/Interstates) in some parts of Europe and the States that would be safe enough, but in the U.K. I'd limit use of cruise control to certain times of day or certain sections of motorway. I think it's just a gimmick for UK bikes.
The OP wants a certain amount of off-tarmac ability and he's a bit of an off road novice, hence my thoughts GS800/850.
You'd have to be riding the tits off a 1200 to leave an experienced rider on a 800 behind on twisty roads, then come the end of the tarmac, the 1200 Rider would need to have considerably more off road skills to ride his 1200 better than the 800 Rider.
Fast cruising? How fast do you want to go? An 800 will toast your licence easily enough.
Uncle Denz

Post by Uncle Denz »

I would agree about cruise control on a bike. Certain times and quiet motorways for me.

As for the size of bike, I also agree about the difficulty of the 1200 class of Adv bike off road. Like you, I have limited off road experience and couldn’t imagine doing any particularly difficult trails without siginificant further training (Bmw off road day soon hopefully!).

Before settling for the GS1200, for the simple reason that my wife wanted to come touring and we’re both pretty tall, I tried a couple of mid sized bikes as I thought I would be limited to shorter tours and jaunts. If we did not tour two up, although I enjoy the 1200, it’s a bit overkill for just me and a smaller capacity bike would be more versatile.

While I enjoyed the Tiger 800 XC which I tried, I found the engine to be revving fairly high (at least compared to the GS) when going 70+. Ideal for having fun but maybe not ideal on long commutes. Maybe the 800 GS has less of this sensation, being a twin. I also tried a Suzuki V Strom 1000 - bit of a halfway house. I wasn’t that keen but I know many like it. A friend has an Africa Twin and it’s a really fun bike - he’s a pretty good rider and has a lot of experience off road but the AT impresses with where it can go.

Hopefully some more food for thought...
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I disagree with some of the comments about cruise control in the UK: obviously you would use it when necessary and when it's safe to do so. I wouldn't use it in stop/do traffic or a congested motorway, however, I do use it in town to keep at 30 mph and when there are average speed cameras (on the A14 around Cambridge) where you can unexpectedly creep over or under the designated speed. As for "regular fast adjustments in speed": maybe it's just me, but I never experience this, unless I'm enjoying some twisties... in which case I wouldn't be using cruise.

I also think that using cruise control helps you concentrate on the ride: I've never lost concentration while using it. It can also give you time to relax your right hand during long, boring rides. It also gives you more time to concentrate on what others are doing. I certainly wouldn't call it dangerous.

Just thought I'd add something more to the discussion of options that are available to the modern day adventure commuter! :D
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Cone

Post by Cone »

OB1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:32 pm I disagree with some of the comments about cruise control in the UK: obviously you would use it when necessary and when it's safe to do so. I wouldn't use it in stop/do traffic or a congested motorway, however, I do use it in town to keep at 30 mph and when there are average speed cameras (on the A14 around Cambridge) where you can unexpectedly creep over or under the designated speed. As for "regular fast adjustments in speed": maybe it's just me, but I never experience this, unless I'm enjoying some twisties... in which case I wouldn't be using cruise.

I also think that using cruise control helps you concentrate on the ride: I've never lost concentration while using it. It can also give you time to relax your right hand during long, boring rides. It also gives you more time to concentrate on what others are doing. I certainly wouldn't call it dangerous.

Just thought I'd add something more to the discussion of options that are available to the modern day adventure commuter! :D
I remember all the times i longed for Cruise Control trying to reach down to the engine to warm my hands on the cold winter commute to Chatham from Wales. This would have helped me loads!! :lol:

I can second the GS800. I have one, use it for commuting 80 miles a day. It does trips into Europe, events like the Taffy Dakar and offroading on the ABR meets. I can't fault mine, it was my entry bike into the adventure market and i've had it for two years and i suspect many more... Further more it takes bumps pretty well, get it protected properly and it will take a bomb to break it!
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Cone wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:50 pm I remember all the times i longed for Cruise Control trying to reach down to the engine to warm my hands on the cold winter commute to Chatham from Wales. This would have helped me loads!! :lol:
Back when I was even more of a scrote than now, I used to commute on an RD400 - including on the coldest winter days. I developed a technique for using my left hand on the throttle and reaching down with my right to warm it up on the cylinder head! It's bloody lethal. :o Had many close scrapes doing that. Not to be recommended.... :lol:
roberteagle6

Post by roberteagle6 »

Hi, if you are new to off-roading I would hesitate before spending your cash. Your commute I would have thought would place a fair emphasis on road comfort and ability - the bikes mentioned are all on the heavy side ie in excess of 200kilo I would guess, and will put you under significant pressure off-road. A trip to the BMW off-road school would provide exposure to the type of bikes mentioned and give you an idea of what to expect.

My thoughts are why not have 2 bikes, a KTM 690 150kl - BMW Sertao 650 190 kl - would be ok for the occasional commute days and much easier off-road with good ground clearance and 21" front wheels, the CCM GP 450 125kl is controversial but having clocked 15000mls on these they are very capable in my view - I also have the 650 BMW which heavy for me (5ft8 10 st and 70 yrs of age) I can still ride the Stella Alpina and it will see over 100mph wearing knobblies.

Have some fun checking them out before you commit.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Something to consider...do you want the bike you do a 140-mile commute on in the week to be the same one that you hurl at the landscape on a weekend?

I'd rather have a cheaper one for each task.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

The problem you have is that a 140 mile commute and hard trails are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of the bike and also tyres so whatever you get will be a compromise, we've all spent years looking for the 'holy grail' but it doesn't exist.
My 1200gs has been brilliant for 2 up touring+gravel roads but show it a muddy trail and it struggles with tourance tyres fitted, even putting tkc's tyres on don't really cure the issue and of course the rear tyre will only last 2.5k miles.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
dave h

Post by dave h »

Sungam72 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:00 pm So here's my question.

I wish to buy an Adventure Bike (new).

My semi regular commute will be London to Gloucester (140 miles) and once a month London to Lyon (550 miles each way).

I want the bike to be capable of going across the world - some hard trails etc yet the bike needs to be as user friendly as possible.

I am 6ft 1 (reasonable shape) and a very experienced road rider - little experience off road.

My thoughts are BMW GS Adventure, KTM 1290 Super Adventure R, the 2018 Triumph Tiger 1200 (what was the Explorer) or the new Big Tank Africa Twin. Money is not an issue for this question.

So, to those of you with experience of Adventure Bikes is there a popular choice or is it down to individual preferences as they will all do the job? And finally, is there any reasons to avoid certain models?

I look forward to your thought and points of view,

Thanks.
ktm 1090r is the best bike that answers your post best,
that said with your thoughts a list of the most powerful,fastest,heaviest,collection of bikes along with quotes -some hard trails,-little off road experience
maybee try some of the mid weight bikes or be realistic on the trails you will ride.

dave.
Boggs

Post by Boggs »

Versys 650 GT

8-)

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”