Which Bike

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
990Duck

Re: Which Bike

Post by 990Duck »

You could just be greedy like me and have 3 bikes:
V-Strom 1000 for touring and light trails.
DR350 for off road and green lanes.
KTM990 for bigger trails. (plus it's high milage means I can't get rid of it.

Seriously though I agree with previous comments; get round all the dealers and test different bikes and/or consider having two bikes.
gbags

Re: Which Bike

Post by gbags »

It also depends on whether you’re two-up or solo on your foreign trips.

I had the GS800 and loved it solo. It can handle two-up but you sometimes long for a bit more poke.

Oddly, I think the bigger GS1200 is the better off road bike. I’ve ridden them both at the BMW off road school and think the heavier, but lower down weight of the 12 makes it easier and more enjoyable than the 8.
Off road, when you drop it, the 800 also falls 90 degrees from vertical to horizontal and you have to pick it up from right down by your feet. The 1200 falls onto it’s pots so the most difficult first 18 inches are already done. You just lift from your knees up. Although heavier, it it much easier to pick up.

Lastly, the 800 has a chain and the 12 a shaft. I got heartily sick of adjusting and replacing chains and sprockets, seemingly after every foreign trip.

I traded my GS800 in for a GS1200.

Good luck with your choice.

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”