Welsh Jaunt this Friday

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
skulkerboyo

Welsh Jaunt this Friday

Post by skulkerboyo »

Hi guys
Long time lurker and subscriber to the magazine.

Done a few 3000+ tours and got a Lands end to John O groats for charity pencilled in for May.

Reason I'm here today though is simply that I'd like some advice on good Welsh roads and lanes.

I'll be starting off in Bristol and would like to plan a good five+ hours ride. I've done plenty of the mountain roads and can get around fairly well but I'm wondering if any of those interesting lanes I keep seeing in the mags are nearby.

Ignore the fact that Friday may be horrible weather weather. Doesn't bother me. Wales is rarely kind to me and I've good kit.

Any favourite roads or lanes I can chain together to make for a fun birthday ride? I'm itching to do a long run. It's been months since I've done anything but commute.

Oh, I'll be on a Transalp with nobblys
PaulinBont

Re: Welsh Jaunt this Friday

Post by PaulinBont »

Over the old Severn Bridge, Chepstow and take the B4235-Usk-B4598, call in the Steel Horse café for a cuppa by the log burner (thumbs)

A40 Abergavenny-Sennybridge (Glan Usk Services another suggested stop?) turn of the A40 in Trecastle and do the 'Roman Road' (turn left by the antiques place and then first right about a mile up the hill to get to the start). (The Roman Road is a Big Bike friendly trail). Over to Myddfai, some good lanes around there. Drop down into Llandovery and take the back roads to Rhandirmwyn.

Maybe around Llyn Brianne, Abergwesyn Pass and the Devil's Staircase and some of Strata Florida if the river levels are not too high?

This area is where the Taffy Dakar takes place , so why not sign up for that as it's a great way to get to know the area.
skulkerboyo

Post by skulkerboyo »

Blimey

So how long would that little lot take to cover?
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Half a day? You'll be back on the A40 homewards before dark
threepot

Post by threepot »

Weather is good Thursday ;)
Zappa

Post by Zappa »

skulkerboyo wrote:Blimey

So how long would that little lot take to cover?
Paul has given you a great route there. I would suggest that you go to the areas he mentioned and make a judgement when there, on if you have the time or if weather is in your favor to explore further. The roman road is a cracker! So to is this route Llyn Brianne, Abergwesyn Pass and the Devil's Staircase.
But if out of time when near Llandovery, you can always head south through the BB's and take an easy route back using the Heads of the Vally road.
I feel beneath the white there is a red skin suffering from centuries of taming.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Agree about Llandovery as a possible turnaround point , taking the A4069 south via Llangadog and over the Black Mountain, hang a left at the bottom to head for Touratech and blag a cup of tea off Nick Plumb (thumbs)

From TT, head up the A4067 past the Cray reservoir back to Sennybridge and the A40
skulkerboyo

Post by skulkerboyo »

I reckon I can find most of that with my prat nav.

The roman road sounds great - anyone got gpx data for it so I don't miss it - I really only got the alp to do some slightly more interesting roads so these long odd lanes are just my cuppa right now.

I'm stuck in London tomorrow evening so will program a route then.
Much thanks guys and gals
Zappa

Post by Zappa »

skulkerboyo wrote:I reckon I can find most of that with my prat nav.

The roman road sounds great - anyone got gpx data for it so I don't miss it - I really only got the alp to do some slightly more interesting roads so these long odd lanes are just my cuppa right now.

I'm stuck in London tomorrow evening so will program a route then.
Much thanks guys and gals
Cant miss the Roman road. As you go through Trecastle there is a building on the left with a huge antiques sign on it. Turn left there and follow your nose.
I feel beneath the white there is a red skin suffering from centuries of taming.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

On my map, the Roman Road is metalled for a bit then only appears as public access to the top of the hill by Y Pigwn. Does the right of way extend all the way down to the road at Cwm Y Cadno?
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”