Wales to southern Italy

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
varadero

Wales to southern Italy

Post by varadero »

First of all I'd like to say hi to everyone here and give some biking background.
I'm a life long biker 50cc at 16 ,had various other bikes from suzuki gt 185,rd 250,wr 426 enduro off road ,xtz660 tenere suzuki gsx1100 f up to my bandit 12 at 47 currently riding my varadero at the age of 52. Also a part time CBT instructor .
I've done a trip abroad with a group a few years ago down the french atlantic coast then across to Barcelona up to Andora and back across france in 10 days 2000 miles .spent time in Germany HM forces and driven in most european countries.
The mrs (pillion) and i are planning to ride to southern Italy middle of may for six weeks .I'm looking for some advice on the best route avoiding switzerland through france onto the med coast of italy and some tips on accommodation.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mike
V_King

Re: Wales to southern Italy

Post by V_King »

if everything goes to plan, I am heading that way at familiar time as well. unless it is unnecessary to go through france, I would avoid it - motor ways expensive, a road takes long time. through germany you add extra 200 kms, but get there faster and without much of a hassle.

as I understand you will mainly be in Italy In June. which is going to be hot, hot and hot and expensive as a tourism season will be in a full swing (but when is Italy cheap?).

Camping requires planning as if you go of the beaten track, the options are very limited. Yet still prepare to pay for a plot of rock hard, dried out grass 15-25 euros per night + TAX! Don't have experience with hotels/BnBs.

I did the route below in two weeks (literally was just carrying this map!)

It took me through all the main towns and really nice parts of Italy. Otherwise they would probably not run the MilleMiglia through those places. Between each point I would just enter in satnav to avoid motorways and go the shortest route. Road from Bolognia, to San Marino to Rieti was especially very nice, but old in places - good workout for suspension. You can also pop in to Moto Guzzi (liked it very much), Ducati (meh) and Ferrari museums. Just make sure in advance when what and if needed a booking.

I was advised to avoid coast lines by the locals - nothing different from French riviera - either cafeterias with lots of slow traffic, or industrialised areas.

Try planning a lunch stopover in a small town on -route. You will find all kinds of gems, with great food, for normal prices (what locals pay) and everything freshly made!

Finally, I've heard that going south of Rome, the Italy becomes more old school, so interactions in english should be trickier, and be prepared to face italian "charm" in service when they are not happy of something :D
""
coyotedave

Post by coyotedave »

First off, Welcome to the collective.

Have a look at the overnight train to villich, souther Austria. This will get you to the Italian border quicker without having to spend many miles and hours on the Auto routes.

Cheers Dave.
varadero

Post by varadero »

Thanks v king fkr the germany tip ,i will look at that route as i speak enough german to get by from my army days .
we are heading way further south than Rome ,about another 500k but don't have a prob with italian roads or language as we both speak enough not to have any trouble .I've driven many thousands of kilometres in italy but very few on a bike.
our final destination is 250k south of Naples. It would be good to hook up with some other bikes along the way if only for a chat.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Rode that route on the way to my son's wedding in Sicily several years ago. Also 2-up on a Varadero. We went:
Day 1 Tunnel to Langres motorway miles.
Day 2, Langres to Oulx through the Frejus tunnel
Day 3 Oulx to somewhere in Tuscany via Genoa and the coast. Cant remember the name of the place.
Day 4 Tuscany to Terracina along the Appian Way
Day 5 Terracina to Scigliano, South of Cosenza
Day 6 Scigliano to Taoormina in Sicily

Best bits. Day 2 off the motorway though rural France. Day 5 Riding through Calabria.
Worst bits. Doing too many miles each day. Spending ages finding a room/b&b at the end off each day.(thought this would be easy.) Motorway riding. Keeping pace with the traffic to avoid tail-gaters, but they'd still be up yer arse at over a ton!. Tunnel-Viaduct-tunnel-viaduct and so on all day.
But I'd do it all again tomorrow. Might choose the spine of Italy rather than coast.
varadero

Post by varadero »

Thanks jackdaw ,what sort of milage a day were you doing ? I know the italian autostrada can be an eye opener from driving experience .
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Seem to remember it being up to 350 most days. Think the overall mileage was about 2k. miles
Charlie the Bikemonger

Post by Charlie the Bikemonger »

Why avoid Switzerland?

You can cross it in a day easily. Take a pack lunch to avoid the expensive food. Satnav it to avoid motorways and the 35euro fee. Check out the eiger then take the grand St. Bernard pass into Italy, awesome road. It's the route Michael Caine took in the Italian job so it must be good.
varadero

Post by varadero »

Thànks for all the replies guys ,some very useful tips and information. When I've finally decided which route I'm going to take I'll post it for scrutiny and any advice .

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”